PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Yes! Gotta blame something eh :)
    I'm on the couch with a heap of old cookbooks. Victorian up to WW2. Looking for meals that cost pennies, ideas on what to plant in the veg plot, and wishing like hell I still had hens..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Whatever happens is out of our control in terms of price increases BUT I think we as a group have more information, experience and 'how to's' in all areas of life that we will be able to weather the difficulties more easily than many and we have the support of like minded folks to jolly ourselves along on the bleakest of days, makes a huge difference!!! We'll be fine!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Anybody else noticing that food prices are on the rise? I know they told us to expect it but as usual it's snowballing. Add that to elect prices rising and 1% - or lower- pay rises then we will all need to tighten something.
    Jazee wrote: »
    And just about every council doing the maximum increase allowed on the council tax bill this year.
    Whatever happens is out of our control in terms of price increases BUT I think we as a group have more information, experience and 'how to's' in all areas of life that we will be able to weather the difficulties more easily than many and we have the support of like minded folks to jolly ourselves along on the bleakest of days, makes a huge difference!!! We'll be fine!

This is definitely one reason why I'm working so hard on the garden, to bring it back to productivity (the other reason is if I *do* have to sell in the years ahead, or even rent it out).

Cutting the useless hedges back to the boundary has massively increased the amount of light I get already, and there's still a bit more I can do on that. Soil improvement is being worked on, the composter might well turn out a load of compost this year with all the stuff I've put in it, I *will* get crops this year, and I *will* use them :)
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    Options
    We had a nice surprise at the weekend - had a wee look into the compost bin that had become a permanent feature- and found COMPOST! whoohooo lol. After 4 years of sticks and twigs and leaves!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 20 February 2017 at 2:59PM
    Options
    The news is full of gloom and doom about rising prices over the past couple of days, electricity, council tax, the NHS, food, fuel everything between too and it's only to be expected that with government cuts to local authorities and the fall in value of the pound over brexit that things WILL need more input from the population IF we want standards to be maintained at the level we're used to. We need to do some readjustment of thinking over food and domestic items, we're all used to such choice and it seems to me that the whole population is thinking they deserve treats all the time and want the exotics and imports and foreign cuisine ingredients but at the same price as the british grown carrots and cabbages. We need to take on board that this IS a transition time, a time of change where what we're used to may not be the norm forever. That no one of us has the right to live on party food and continually indulge our every whim 'because we're worth it' really is only common sense, if we want comestibles and household items to remain affordable we have to make choices about our lifestyles and rein in expectations to what we can actually afford and make the best from it that we can. We run without central heating because we made the decision to have the stove installed. It sometimes gets pretty chilly in here in the depths of winter but we've gotten used to running cooler in fact going into centrally heated buildings is now uncomfortably warm. We also run mostly (not entirely) on simple foods that I try to find grown/produced locally. I can't do all of life that way it's not possible on a pension but I try. I use the £1 shops, I use places like Home Bargains and B & M, I use the local farm shop and I try to make us as good a life as I can below our means so there is always a tiny bit of slack in the monetary system for unexpected things happening. It's a good life, we're not always away on holidays, we've got second hand furniture that we've had for years, we provide as much food home grown as we can and I cook everything so we eat well too. If prices do go up there are ways of making what you DO have left into a good life IF you work at it, sometimes it's even fun!!!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My concern is pensions being eroded by inflation especially as there was a piece in the press today that the Govt is contemplating watering down the requirement for final salary schemes to increase pensions by RPI
    http://retirementgenius.co.uk/employer-flexibility-plan-for-final-salary-pensions/

It doesn't take long for an adequate pension to be anything but, if inflation takes off. The implication is that this will be for 'stressed' schemes - who decides? If an employer threatens to pull the plug on a final salary scheme they don't want to continue funding, they'll probably find they're allowed to suspend inflation increases as the lesser of two evils.

Though, in reality, if inflation did take off, the effect on gilts would probably cause a lot of the funding deficits to diminish anyway.

I'm a couple of years off the majority of my pensions kicking in. I'm making very conservative projections about our income going forward
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't wait for it to happen, start living the lifestyle NOW, practise living as much below your means as you can, learn to make good things with cheaper component parts, learn to love second hand, make good what you have and if you can't afford a new one refurbish the one you have (I know if machines break it's sometimes not feasible) find the little repair man who lives locally, get your shoes mended by the cobbler don't buy a new pair (if they can be mended that is), develop simpler tastes, find contentment in things that are free...what price a winter sunrise? use the library, frequent charity shops or even do without the latest must have. I know all of this is teaching Grandma to suck eggs but it doesn't hurt to reinforce frugal and simple as a good way to live does it?
  • maryb
    Options
    Another link
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/pensions-retirement/financial-planning/pensioners-could-lose-30pc-gold-plated-income-plans-considered/

They recognise the temptation for companies to let their schemes become stressed and say provisions need to be in place to ensure they are well funded in the good years.

Part of the reason pension schemes are now underfunded is because the surpluses built up in the high inflation years were seen as too tempting for the Government to keep their sticky mitts off
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • maryb
    Options
    You're absolutely right Mrs L and we do try and do a lot of that now but there is a strong counter pull inasmuch as we have seen so many people become less able as they enter their 70s that we want to do things and travel a bit more now while we have our health and strength.

So I'm working on the basis of keeping the non-discretionary spending as low as possible so we can cut out the frills without too much regret. We have built up a good supply of logs because quite a lot of trees came down this winter in our neck of the woods (as it were) and the local tree surgeons offload quite a bit onto us - we chainsaw it into suitable lengths and split it.

But there seems to be a growing mood that is blaming woodburners for increased air pollution. Ours is a Clearview which is the most efficient you can get but you can smell the stove outside when we have it lit. I have a slight concern that they might ban them in smokeless zones in a few years' time, which would catch us.
  • mardatha
    Options
    Agree MrsL. But just not been doing much of that myself lately. If I'm tired and hassled then I need Sainsbugs online.. can't be doing with trekking around a big shop. This week I was feeling ok so decided right let's go to Aldis, save some money. So we went up at opening time on Sun morning - and I spent £50. For two old people who hardly eat anything :eek: So either Aldi has put their prices up a fair bit or else I've lost my OS cannyness along the way!
    Re wood stoves, it always seemed quite limiting to me to buy one. I'd always go for a multi burner that will take anything you throw in it. Plus wood is just not hot enough for this house in this location, we need coal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure