Account to support widow with small children

Options
My best friend has recently passed away and I want to set up some sort of account that a number of close friends can put money in to provide ongoing financial support for the mother and the children for such things as days out, childcare, holidays etc so she would need to have immediate and ongoing access to the account. I want to do this for them without bothering her as she has enough to deal with right now. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this for them?

Comments

• Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Proudy wrote: »
    My best friend has recently passed away and I want to set up some sort of account that a number of close friends can put money in to provide ongoing financial support for the mother and the children for such things as days out, childcare, holidays etc so she would need to have immediate and ongoing access to the account. I want to do this for them without bothering her as she has enough to deal with right now. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this for them?
    Is she claiming any means tested benefits? Any account would have to ber set up with her knowledge and consnet as she would have to sign the application forms.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why not just write her a cheque?

If she doesn't have a bank account of her own she will have to open one sooner or later.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    edited 19 April 2017 at 6:08PM
    Options
    Not really, if you want her to have access now.
    Easiest way, if you trust each other, is to nominate someone you all trust, and ask them to open a new, separate account in their name. Some banks allow you to 'nickname' an account, and you could use her name (no legal status, but it indicates what's going on)

In a few months time, you can make a decision about the best way forward, whether you want it to be on-going, a single gift, or using that account yourselves to pay for the holiday (or whatever).
    Yorkshireman has a good point, but it is very likely that your money will fall under any threshold. You can check on gov.uk, or if need be, ask at CAB, local law centre, or similar.
    Cruse.org.uk (the bereavement charity) can be very helpful, and I suggest that you check in with them.

Doing it this way is simple, but does depend on the integrity of the person holding the money, and I would aim for it to be short-term.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can 'just giving' be used to collect the money?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Yes but they charge a percentage!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    What about a PayPal account?
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes but they charge a percentage!

The BT scheme is much cheaper:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2011/04/bt-launches-low-fees-charity-giving-site
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    I think the BT scheme only deals with registered charities.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    jackyann wrote: »
    I think the BT scheme only deals with registered charities.
    Ok, thanks. In that case, there are other cheaper schemes. I think there is one from Virgin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure