PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just finished NEVER LOOK AWAY- LINWOOD BARCLAY , very good, didnt guess the ending for a change, nice and easy to read, been doing quite a few nights so needed something not to taxing as my eyes dont work too good after night shifts. Think I might try something different and read THE SAVAGE GARDEN- MARK MILLS, "An intriguing puzzle,set in 1958,a young scholar arrives in Tuscany , before the summer ends, he uncovers 2 stories of love, revenge and murder" Here goes.:)
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I have just finished reading How Will I Know by Shelia O'Flanagan. It was very easy, light reading. It is touching and funny.
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    Sorry to have abandoned the thread, I've struggled to get to the library for the last few weeks.

Amazon have given me a free e-book, perhaps because their computer can tell I haven't bought anything this year and they are trying to lure me back. It gave me a choice of three books and I chose The Pick, The Spade and The Crow by Bill Rogers. It's a relatively standard police procedural so far, but the main character seems interesting.

Next week I will definitely absolutely get to the library!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Book 9:

secret.jpg

8/10. I loved this book, but it made me very sad too and for that reason took me some time to read. I would have ignored it but the cover of my copy says something to the effect "if you liked The Help, read this". I'm very glad I did.

Back to my slovenly ways and am part way through many others!

Just seen an advert for Asda. Why does World Book Day require costumes, btw?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Probably because costumes make it more fun for children which would hopefully mean they'd be more interested in reading.

And because it makes money for companies like Asda.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    Probably because costumes make it more fun for children which would hopefully mean they'd be more interested in reading.

And because it makes money for companies like Asda.

I have to admit to being a bit of a grump about World Book Day costumes - not the costumes as such, but because 90% of them seem to be TV and Film characters :mad:. For example, you see hundreds of 'Annas' and 'Elsas' and 'Frozen' is not a book - there might have been books written based on the characters but it was a film first. I think there should be a rule that the costumes should only be based on characters that were from books first. When I'm queen of the world I shall make that a rule :)
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    I like the idea of World Book Day for children but worry about the parents who might feel they have to buy a costume. I remember a woman I worked with a few years ago who was sewing a costume in the staff room on her tea break, which was extra work she could probably have done without!

I've now finished this one

33535002._UY200_.jpg

It wasn't very well paced in the end - the beginning quite slow which was fine but then the ending felt a bit rushed in comparison. All the same I enjoyed it and would like to read others by the same author. He has written 11 other books, but when I went to the library today they didn't have any of them.

I'm now starting a rather short book called 'The Silence of Ghosts'. I suspect there will be ghosts in it, if not I shall feel rather let down.

Happy reading everyone :)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just finished The Burgess Boys, by Elizabeth Strout. Very good, with immigrants as one issue. She's written quite a few books so I'll try more.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Finally finished Roots last night. I was a bit disappointed, the first section was very long, and the end was quite rushed. The midde seemed to be more of an amalgamation of various original source stories written by escaped slaves. It did make me think about things that I hadn't considered before though.

Next up is some light relief - First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I have just finished reading Apple Tree Yard by Louise Doughty and it was a riveting read. The characters are very well drawn and it is fascinating to read how an ill fated affair leads to an act of violence that forever changes the 2 main characters lives in a profound way. I had seen the television series based on the book which I had found fascinating and it had prompted me to buy myself a copy of the book. The book is even better. I would rate it 9.5 out of 10 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure