Options
    Is this thread dying a death?:confused:

Guess I'll never find out the answer to my question then.:(
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scarlett25 wrote: »
    Hi Martin :hello: and a big thank you for taking the time to answer all our questions! Two questions from me......

1 - If Gordon Brown asked you to be a Government Adviser (which he should do in my opinion!)......would you accept?

2 - Do you ever get people asking you for advice when you're out and about?

1. Difficult one: Not sure I would actually want to do it - but I shall ignore that element. Probably Financial Education Tzar, or Consumer Finance Bum (I dont know what you call it so lets go for a bum!)

2. Yes very often - I do try and answer when I can - often its bank charges, credit cards or energy. In fact I went for a meeting at No. 10 the other day and as I went through the police scanners each of the three police officers had a question.

Of course when out with friends and someone comes across and asks if you can spare an hour for a makeover on their finances it can be a bit tricky.
    Hi Martin,

What would you do if you found an undated 20p?
    a) sell to the London mint for £50
    b) try to sell on ebay
    c) keep as an investment

Provided it was obviously lost - if i spotted it was undated I would get on the internet research it and see what the best thing to do was. Simple and boring as that Im afraid.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    Martin, I have two questions in relations to the reclaims section:
    1) The templates/new guides are not yet available and I do appreciate that it is taking time. My first question is whether there will be advice in the short term as all banks appear to be sending out rejection letters giving the customer 8 weeks before closing the complaint. Some letters are dated December 2009 and would require a response by the end of January?
    2) Currently on the Govan Law Centre website there are template letters to send to the bank and/or the FOS on their site which has been live since January 2010. Can I ask why they haven't been mentioned by MSE as a short term solution or whether you have a view yourself on them? (for reference, the link is here: http://govanlc.blogspot.com/ )
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • tinandsue
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Provided it was obviously lost - if i spotted it was undated I would get on the internet research it and see what the best thing to do was. Simple and boring as that Im afraid.

Thanks so much for replying:T Getting on the internet and researching it was exactly what I did do but I came up with the 3 mentioned alternatives and I can't decide between them. Even the people on the forums here can't agree between them as to what the best course of action is which is why I thought I'd ask yourself.

I've never been any good with maths, have made awful decisions in the past and don't want to make any more mistakes as I've 4 kids to think of now - I'd hate you to think I'm just wanting the answers on a plate and that I'm too lazy to do my research. Help!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    natweststaff member - this isn't what this thread is for.

We've seen the govan letters which are for scotland and we've looked at them - we work with govan on this. Yet frankly knowing 'what to do' isn't easy - and we're coming unstuck slightly with the legal impact of telling people in court "what to do" that's legal advising and its not easy to work out how to do it without liability. More so our direction apart from the early days focused on the Ombudsman - not the court route - the truth is the answer isn't easy - and we dont necessarily have it yet.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • natweststaffmember
    Options
    natweststaff member - this isn't what this thread is for.

We've seen the govan letters which are for scotland and we've looked at them - we work with govan on this. Yet frankly knowing 'what to do' isn't easy - and we're coming unstuck slightly with the legal impact of telling people in court "what to do" that's legal advising and its not easy to work out how to do it without liability. More so our direction apart from the early days focused on the Ombudsman - not the court route - the truth is the answer isn't easy - and we dont necessarily have it yet.
    Apologies I wasn't aware the thread wasn't for that sort of question. I can answer one question though which I posed because Abbey are sending out letters with a December 2009 date on. They have confirmed and I will forward to MSE Wendy that the 8 weeks commence 31st December 2009 which means end of February for a response.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies if this has already been asked and answered before, but Martin, did you ever thank Ali, personally, and financially for his original work. Without his work, surely you would not be where you are today? He enabled you to get a break in life, did you return that favour?
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • orc_2
    orc_2 Posts: 563 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2010 at 9:17PM
    Options
    We've seen the govan letters which are for scotland and we've looked at them - we work with govan on this.

But,

The good folk at Govan Law Centre say they are for the whole of the UK, Martin. There is no discrimination South of border control.

So, they are not just for Scotland.

Have I got it wrong? If so, apologies.

Has Govan and Mike Dailey got it wrong?

Are you actually working with Govan Law Centre or is that wrong also?

I'm sorry, but I think you may be wrong regarding this and you might have overlooked it. I think it important that your team are informed accordingly.

(There were never separate claim templates for Scotland in any case??????? Nor different arguments for FOS for Scottish cases. The court process is of course different, as are the arguments, but these templates are not for that.)

Here is the link:

http://govanlc.blogspot.com/2010/01/unfair-bank-charges-free-help-to-amend.html

Here is the relevant advice:

"What should I do now?
    If you have an existing complaint with your bank or the FOS, it is likely this will be rejected unless you AMEND your grounds of complaint, to take on board the impact of recent developments, and explain why you are still entitled to a refund of unfair bank charges. There is no need to pay for anyone to help you do this - you can do this yourself, or with the free help or support of a community law centre solicitor, money advice agency or Citizens Advice Bureaux. Details of where to locate free help is set out below.

GLC has drafted the following downloadable example letters for use within the UK:......................................"

(available at Govan using above link).

As there was no mention of templates within this weeks edition of the MSE newsletter, perhaps reference could be made in next weeks newsletter to the Govan templates. Time marches on and the banks continue to trample over every claimant.

Additionally, Penalty Charges have been successful with 2 strikeouts and perhaps reference could be made to that news, as it will be heartening for people in desparate circumstances. This could be included in the newsletter as well, perhaps, so it reaches a wide audience.

PS sorry if this is in wrong place, site team please feel free to relocate it.:D
    Please ignore those people who post on this forum who deliberately try to misinform you. Don't be bullied by them, don't be blamed by them. You know who I mean.
    You come here for advice, help and support- thats what I and like minded others will try to do.
  • bumnu
    Options
    I'm not sure if you have been asked this or not (there are too many search results to go through, for reasons that will become clear!), but don't you think you use the word 'yet' way too often? It's very distracting when I read your articles and, it may be just me, but I feel that you could benefit from varying your vocabulary?

Meant in a light hearted manner :D (but still hoping for less 'yets'!)
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    Martin,
    I've been searching all over the MSE site for your contact email details and this is the nearest I can find so apologies if this message is inappropriate. I would like to put some ideas for a new book past you so if you could get back on my email I will fill you in with all the info. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure