PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No Factor but verbal agreement on a flat (Scotland)

Options
Hello, Im a cash buyer and found a small flat in Scotland I like. I did do a search here on factoring but I hope some can answer this concern. I really like the flat, the communal area and stairwell looked in good condition and the heme report had mostly 1s some 2s. The block is an old building over 100 years.

One concern I have is the 10 or so properties arent factored. The EA says its a verbal agreement to carry out any repairs. Im looking at the flat for next 5 years then want to move abroad again.

Will the lack of factor give problems selling it in the future, is might he difficult for others to get mortgage? And also for me to get insurance?

Should I be suspicious that there is no factor, a lot of flats in Scotland seem to be factored?

Someone suggested factoring can sometimes be a rip off.

While I like the place, I dont want to buy something that will be a turkey.
If you can offer any views etc Id be really greatful, thanks! :cool:

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    James4D wrote: »
    Will the lack of factor give problems selling it in the future, is might he difficult for others to get mortgage? And also for me to get insurance?

No, mortgage lenders and insurers aren't interested in whether or not a block is factored.
    Should I be suspicious that there is no factor, a lot of flats in Scotland seem to be factored?
    And a lot aren't. Mine isn't. Nothing suspicious about it.

Look at how well-maintained the property is (whether or not it's factored). Factoring doesn't mean repairs magically happen - the factor just manages things, they still need the owners to stump up cash. How are repairs etc actually managed - does one of the owners take charge or does it seem more ad hoc than that? How many flats are owner-occupied? Absentee landlords can be less interested in paying their share.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'd echo working out what happens in actual practice re the maintenance.

With no factor - what should happen are regular meetings (if only once a year) of all parties concerned. 10 flats = each flat having 10% of the "vote" as to how things are done. Ditto I'd wonder re cleaning of the communal areas - 10 flats should mean a cleaning rota of each flat doing it once every 10 weeks (assuming weekly cleans).

That's the way things should be. You need to find out how it works "on the ground".
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I lived in 8 flats in Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Perth in my 20+ years in Scotland, and only 1 of those was factored (a rental). The only significant problem I had was with one that I owned where the stair was primarily rentals (including several owned by a HA) where one of the owners could not be located and statutory repairs had to be made at a greater cost than would have otherwise been the case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure