Student Loan liability & pension lump sum

Options
Dear all,

As my profile name suggests, I am a part time mature student with SFE loan. I start repayments in April 2019 at which time I am also eligible to retire with pension lump sum. The lump sum takes me over the income threshold (21K) for that year 2019/20. My question is;

Does the lump sum count as annual income which I would have to pay 9% of anything over 21K as repayment?

Many thanks:j

Comments

• Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Options
    If the lump sum is your tax free lump sum then it doesn't count towards annual income.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dear all,

As my profile name suggests, I am a part time mature student with SFE loan. I start repayments in April 2019 at which time I am also eligible to retire with pension lump sum. The lump sum takes me over the income threshold (21K) for that year 2019/20. My question is;

Does the lump sum count as annual income which I would have to pay 9% of anything over 21K as repayment?

Many thanks:j
    Mogley wrote: »
    If the lump sum is your tax free lump sum then it doesn't count towards annual income.

Pension income is excluded for the purposes of student loan repayments as it is not subject to National Insurance. Only NICable income counts for student loan repayments.
  • hatnezmaturestudent
    Options
    Thank you. Much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills