£30,000 Investment - Where?

Options
Right, I have that kind of money available and looking to invest. However, I am looking for the fastest, highest returns for the money - Paradise? I guess so. I am looking for suggestions and even ideas about using the £30,000 as a basis for borrowing more and then re-investing. I am not into property because £30,000 isn't enough; have tried binary options and other broker-type investments and made losses. So, if anybody has any ideas then I would be glad to hear from you.

Comments

• Dunney77
    Dunney77 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Short China.
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You cannot get high returns without accepting high risk that you will not get them.

Looking to borrow to invest in something high risk will expose you to a high probability of expensive failure.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KuanYin wrote: »
    I am not into property because £30,000 isn't enough;

Surely it's enough for a deposit on a reasonable BTL?

I'm not saying that's the best option, I have zero experience with property and even less with investment advice, just seems that discounting it because you can't buy somewhere for cash goes against your willingness to borrow.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So you've already found that you lose money on get rich quick schemes like options and still want other ideas to make money quickly? Sadly there is no formula for get rich quick unless you're someone running a scam and then you have a fair chance of being locked up.

For everyone else it's a case of get rich slowly, invest your money and leave it to compound long term. Invest in S&S ISA over 2 tax years and it will be tax free. Having said that, £30k is fine for BTL if you are able to borrow, my previous property was bought with that amount.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 August 2015 at 1:25PM
    Options
    Isn't this what happened in China two weeks ago?

The joke is, if you were in a pub (cultural equivalent), shifty people used to sidle up to you and go:

"Wanna watch?"

"Wanna buy property?"

"Wanna invest in stock?"

Now it's "Wanna Leverage (Borrow to invest)?"

A finance company will let you trade on margin, but closes the position when it hits a limit, unless you transfer in more money.
    There were no tall buildings to jump out of, thirty years ago.
    Now every body live in 30 storey high rises, so convenient.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you want the maximum possible return in the shortest possible time I hear there's a three legged horse with odds of 250-1 running at Goodwood tomorrow.

Obviously there is a small amount of risk attached to this option, as there is to any investment offering very high returns.
  • savdefriz
    savdefriz Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    I would think that investing in a company "recommended" 3 times by a newbie on different forum threads might be a sure fire way to go... (please note that sarcasm does not come over too well in forum posts!)

Wouldn't you agree Kelly-Anne1985?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    savdefriz wrote: »
    I would think that investing in a company "recommended" 3 times by a newbie on different forum threads might be a sure fire way to go... (please note that sarcasm does not come over too well in forum posts!)

Wouldn't you agree Kelly-Anne1985?
    That was six times, but falling rapidly as the spam is cleaned out.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family