financial advice needed please

Options
my dad is about to give me £50,000 but he is concerned that if he dies within seven years of giving me the money i will be liable for taxation, is this correct what sort of tax will i be expected to pay, i think he is wrong but he insists its correct, any advice will be appreciated.

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If he dies and his estate at the time plus any gifts made in the last 7 years (with some exception) is more than the inheritance tax limit then his estate will be liable to IHT

you personally will in general not be liable to any tax.
    if of course he doesn't give you the 50,000 and he dies then its liable to IHT anyway, so there is no reason for him not to give it to you now.
  • gratomlin
    gratomlin Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    thanks Clapton, his estate is much less than £325,000 which is the IHT threshold, so if he dies before handing the money out will his estate still be liable to IHT?, all this seems cold but i just wanna set my dad's mind at rest.
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    If your dad died before giving the gift, and the estate was in total less than £325,000 then there would be no inheritance tax to pay anyway.
    Debbie
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 May 2010 at 5:25PM
    Options
    Essentially it works like this:
    • Calculate the value of all gifts made in the last 7 years prior to death less any allowances, (most notably the annual gift allowance of £3,000 per donor, can be carried forward by 1 year if unused). In this case, assuming he hasn't made any other gifts in the last 7 years and yours is first, the value of the gift would be reduced to £44,000 for IHT purposes.
    • Deduct the gifts (after allowances) from the nil rate band (£325,000 per person this year, plus any extra that has been transferred in the event that a spouse dies without using their own nil rate band) in strict chronological order from oldest to newest. When the nil rate band runs out, IHT is chargeable. Any chargeable amount can be reduced by taper relief if the gift was made more than 3 years prior to death.
    • After dealing with gifts, the estate is considered. Any remaining nil rate band can be deducted from the value of the estate, then IHT is payable on the rest. This can't be tapered or offset by annual gift allowances.
    There are, as with all forms of taxation, intricacies. However, the above is the gist of how gifts are generally treated, as long as they aren't gifts into trusts or gifts with reservation.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    >any advice will be appreciated.<

Sounds like IHT won't be an issue. If it was, there's specific life assurance policies for this situation where the pay-out is tapered to match the IHT liability for the 7 year period.
  • gratomlin
    Options
    thanks Debbie42,Aegis and Amcluesent for your advice it is much appreciated :)
  • gratomlin
    Options
    will i be liable to pay tax on this money?, if so is there a way around paying it?
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Are you talking of the gift? There is no tax to pay on a gift "without reservation" (as I think it's termed?).
    Debbie
  • cos69
    cos69 Posts: 413 Forumite
    Options
    At the moment there should not be any tax implications for you or your father, however do this quickly. Before you know it, after the election someone could well introduce "Labours death tax" or something similar which could well hit the value of his estate. Reducing that estate now by £50,000 could well be to your longer term advantage.
    "How could I have been so mistaken as to trust the experts" - John F Kennedy 1962
  • gratomlin
    Options
    thanks Debbie and cos69 for your help, yes this is a gift :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure