MoneySaving Poll: Euro elections 34% turnout - why didn't you vote?

Options
Poll started 20 May 2014

Euro elections 34% turnout – why didn’t you vote?

Voting is one of the most important choices we make as consumers. Yet even though last week’s Euro elections were the most hotly-contested for years, only just over 1 in 3 people eligible to vote did so. So we want to know if you did vote - and if not, why not?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click this

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 27 May 2014 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Problem is people those who don't vote in political surveys are more likely to be the ones which don't vote in elections!

All the same it does appear as if the internet could help to significantly increase the vote, and information to assist voting, especially for young people. It couldn't be less secure than the system we had on Thursday, I could have been anyone!
  • groovygav
    groovygav Posts: 95 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find it hard to believe the MSE Forumites are really so much more politically engaged than the general public. Over 60% voted or spoiled their ballot papers? No chance!
  • shireknight
    shireknight Posts: 187 Forumite
    Options
    I don't ever remember voting in European elections before but this year I certainly did and it was Ukip that I voted for.

I am surprised to find that only 34% of the eligible population voted, I felt this year the elections were very much in the public mind and that the turnout rate would have been much higher than normal.
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Options
    MSE forgot the option that they listened to Russell Brand's advice!

Courtesy of the Mash!

UK Thank Russell Brand

THAT not-voting thing has worked out brilliantly, Britain has told Russell Brand.

33-year old Wayne Hayes said: “I really stuck it to The Man by staying at home on Thursday, even if it does look an awful lot like The Man ended up succeeding beyond his wildest imaginings.”

As two-thirds of the electorate decided not to bother in the European election, the UK will now be represented in Brussels by MEPs who won’t bother voting either.

The long-term plan is for all political decisions to be made in a Mayfair drinking club without the costly and time-consuming exercise of pretending to care less what the public thinks.

Jester/prophet/lothario/voice of cinema rabbit Russell Brand said: “Cor, it’s a proper xenophobey-wobey paradigm shift toward the far righty-wight malarkey, innit?

“How very un-perspicacious of me ‘umble self to not divine how this whole politics imbroglio might have unfolded.”
  • Twopints
    Twopints Posts: 1,770 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    groovygav wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe the MSE Forumites are really so much more politically engaged than the general public. Over 60% voted or spoiled their ballot papers? No chance!

Or that twice as many women as men voted. Or didn't scroll down and see there was another set of options for men, in which case they shouldn't be allowed to vote :beer:
    Not even wrong
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh the irony, that the people who vote in this poll also tended to vote in the elections as well. The whole concept of this poll seems backwards.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I find it sad that you paired the 'yes I voted' along with 'I spoiled my ballot paper' :(

Anyone that spoiled their paper, did not actually vote.
  • Tr@cker
    Tr@cker Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    Im not at all surprised by the results but disappointed in the turnout, i voted UKIP.

Ive always voted Labour in the generals but im disgusted they haven't pledged a referendum on EU membership to the British public.

If Milliband doesn't have a change of heart i believe a significant number of traditional Labour core supporters will defect next year-including me.
  • BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    groovygav wrote: »

I don't think MSE forumites are a representative sample of real life people.
  • Lisa_bromsgrove
    Options
    My daughter was a first time voter who was in halls away at Uni. We always vote and encouraged her to vote. She lives with 6 other students from all over the UK from different backgrounds. One originally born outside of the UK but in Europe. They live in a big city in south east England and had no information through the door,they have no TV. She finally did her own research on the Uni website to explain what each political party stood for. She was the only one to vote in her flat. The others didn't know who to vote for so didn't bother. Was that the reason why there was such a bad turn out on voting night? These students are our future , our daughter wanted to use her vote for her future. Where we live all we had was a Ukip car driving round! And they got in...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure