Incontinence wet wipes. False Economy?

Options
I need some help please.

I use TENA Wet Wipes because they smell pretty much neutral and the scent doesn't linger. I worked out today i'm going through a packet a day which costs roughly £4.65 a day x 7 = £32 a week x 4 = £128 a month. There are are 48 individual wipes in a package
http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/...ack-of-48.html

Doing some checking...

Incontinence Care Wipes are £1.69 a day x 7 = £11.83 x 4 = ££47 a month.. . Oh and there are only 25 individual wipes in the packet but they are slightly larger. I don't like how they say Incontinence wipes on the packet.
http://www.incontinencechoice.co.uk/...ack-of-25.html

Do you think I should switch for the cheaper brand, Are the Tena Wipes are a false economy? You know the sizes do the Tena wipes make up the expense because you get more in a package or they they equal out because the Incontinence Care Wipes are larger... Thank you.

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    If you're using that many I really think you need to see your doctor. As I said on your other thread my urinary incontinence is pretty well controlled by medication. My fecal incontinence is under investigation but hopefully can be treated.

Your doctor isn't going to bat an eyelid, they've seen and heard far worse than anything you can say! If you don't want to make an appointment just for that, try mentioning it when you next see them anyway.

It's really not worth suffering in silence when there's hope of treatment that can stop you needing wipes and pads.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    My son was doubly incontinent until he was sixteen. He was unable to clean himself, and still struggles. I use Huggies baby wipes on my son. They're larger and thicker than other baby wipes, and they're not as expensive as incontinence wipes. They do the job just as well, and they don't have an obvious aroma.

My son also has a toilet called a Closomat. It's a combined toilet and bidet - great for him to have some independence with his hygiene. It means that the baby wipes are only used when we go out, as the Closomat cleans and dries him when we are at home. It was put in by the council, even though I am a houseowner, as part of a Disabled Facilities Grant.
  • Diary
    Diary Posts: 591 Forumite
    Options
    I am doubly incontinent after a broken back. I get great pads and wipes and now catheters from the NHS, who were brilliant with me. My area do 3 sizes from very large, which I have, to thin.
    I even got a choice of a male or female advisor, I would strongly advise you to give the NHS incontinence service a try. They deliver to home and I reorder online. It's expensive to pay yourself and they're very discreet.
    Master Apothecary Faranell replied, “I assure you, overseer, the Royal Apothecary Society dearly wishes to make up for the tragic misguidance which ended so many lives. We will cause you no trouble. We seek only to continue our research in peace".
  • Staacacoli
    Options
    Would it not be much cheaper to buy baby wipes? Simple wipes are around 89p to £1 and have no nasties in them. I'm a care assistant and buying the incontinence wipes seems like a really big rip off. I use dry wipes on clients which I went myself with water. These are cheaper too
  • Staacacoli
    Options
    Dry care wipes*
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a little reminder for those using wet wipes ...
    They should never be flushed down the toilet, even if the pack says 'flushable'. We have recently had a problem locally with blocked sewers. A major fault was rectified in the pipework in the main road, but the problem continued. The engineer who cleared this blockage said it was caused by wet wipes. The water company told me that a lot of people don't realise they can't be flushed and, eventually, will cause a blockage.
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use unscented baby wipes, works out a lot cheaper than those that say incontinance on the packet for what is basically a way to bump the price.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • faerielight
    Options
    I use baby wipes too
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anything for adults seems to be more expensive than the child version (cotton wool for instance, on the beauty shelves, is twice the price as in the baby section).

Aldi's Mamia baby wipes are quite good, even for my granddaughter who has sensitive skin. They are less than 1p per wipe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure