Top Child Trust Funds Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    On a Non stakeholder on £1768 for a 6 month period i have recieved £38 annual bonus -good or bad please ?
  • zarjaz_2
    Options
    I opened two investment trusts for my 12 year old when she was one. I have been paying £30 to each since then. The funds are Edinburgh UK Tracker and Edinburgh US Tracker. As at today, the combined funds were valued at £8600. I've invested approx £8000, so gained only £800 in 11 years.

I have been thinking of closing the funds, and putting the money elsewhere. I can lock it away for around 5 years, as it's intended to help with university fees.

Questions I have:

Should I close the funds, or leave them?
    If close, where should I re-invest?

Anyone venture an opinion?

Gary
  • Paphos_Gooner
    Options
    So I'm about to transfer my CTF from Britannia to Chorley Building Society; the interest is due to be paid to the current account on the 1st January - it doesn't make a difference if I move account now does it? I'd still get the same level of interest pro-rata?

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So I'm about to transfer my CTF from Britannia to Chorley Building Society; the interest is due to be paid to the current account on the 1st January - it doesn't make a difference if I move account now does it? I'd still get the same level of interest pro-rata?

Assuming the Brittania CTF is a savings account then you will get your interest pro-rata.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Smoggie69
    Options
    I will be opening a CTF once the voucher has arrived for our son. Can I open a Halifax Children's Regular Saver in addition to this?
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    Smoggie69 wrote: »
    I will be opening a CTF once the voucher has arrived for our son. Can I open a Halifax Children's Regular Saver in addition to this?
    The two are completely seperate. The CTF has tax benefits but a child can only have one. You can have as many other savings accounts for children as you like.

You should be aware of the tax implications for interest earned over £100 pa where the money was from a parent/guardian. Interest of more than £100pa is earned in a single tax year tax will be deducted at your highest tax rate.

• Paphos_Gooner
    Options
    Thanks cloud_dog :D
  • ANJAL
    Options
    Has anyone any experience of Self Invest CTF's? Can't seem to find many on the market.... All experiences would be appreciated.
  • cloud_dog
    Options
    ANJAL wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of Self Invest CTF's? Can't seem to find many on the market.... All experiences would be appreciated.
    SelfTrade and F&C are two that sping to mind.

The Selftrade one is as near to a normal dealing account for a child (CTF) as you will find, pretty much everything available that you could put in to an adults ISA (which is what we've got).

The F&C allows stocks and a choice of 12 funds. Not sure about dealing charges, although they allow 2 free switches per year.

• mortgagenomore_2
    Options
    Hi hope someone can answer my query if a child already has a Child Trust Fund and is receiving £100 maximum a month can they also have a Child Bond account with £25 a month being invested into that also? thanks in advance MNM :o
    £14, 500 to go
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure