Old credit card charges reclaim

Options
Hi all, I'm new to this so hope I do it right. I'm wondering if I can claim back my credit card late payment, over payment and default charges? Both me and my husband had 2 credit cards each but they were settled and closed back in 2009-2010 can I claim back the charges for them as at the year before we settled them my husband was out of work and we had lots of charges being added onto them and I know they were £30-£35 each time. Any advise would be great thank you.

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, you can always write to the bank's Cards Customer Services team. They'll often refund charges if there was a good reason.

Although it's best to do it at the time.

But there's no entitlement to reclaim.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Generally speaking you should assume historical charges will not be refunded and if they decide to, it would be a bonus. There is no entitlement to refunds of bank charges, since the court case win in 2009 banks have refused all claims of "unfair" charges related to banking and that will have set a precedent for other "unfair" charges e.g. those on credit cards. Given the charges were valid and correctly applied I wouldn't hope for much and see what happens
  • sarahd83
    Options
    Hi, thanks for replying. I know that the banks won their case with regard to bank charges but I thought it was different for credit card late payment and default charges am I right?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. The fees were lowered some years back to a standard £12 but they were not deemed unlawful.
  • sarahd83
    Options
    Oh I see I must of read it wrong. Thank you.
  • brown1950
    Options
    ZX 81

Can you please advise on what legal premise you can back up your statement that £12 fees are legal ?

Nasqueron

And again you talk about bank charges on a credit card subject ? why ? Banks winning in the Supreme Court did NOT set a precedent for credit card charges. Why do you continue to give wrong information to posters on this site ?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    brown1950 wrote: »
    Can you please advise on what legal premise you can back up your statement that £12 fees are legal ?

First search result on google

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/borrowing-money/credit-cards/the-costs-and-charges-of-credit-cards/#h-default-and-late-payment-charges

and amazingly, also on this site

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/credit-card-charges#guide
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:35AM
    Options
    ZX 81

Nasqueron

And again you talk about bank charges on a credit card subject ? why ? Banks winning in the Supreme Court did NOT set a precedent for credit card charges. Why do you continue to give wrong information to posters on this site ?

As above, the fees of £12 were agreed with the regulator and the banks and are legal. Even at the time the higher ones were legal as they were all presented up front.

In the UK law is based on precedent, if someone takes the banks to court on a large "class action" basis for credit cards like with the bank charges the courts will look at the court case in 2009 and use that as a basis, they would not ignore the previous case and set up a brand new completely opposite decision as that's not how the system works especially as the charges are the same thing for both i.e. a complaint of "unfair" charges.

Moreover, these charges were all avoidable, the charges were in place because financial matters were not handled correctly, more money was spent than was coming in. Banks now have an obligation to deal with such financial hardship cases.

As ever, I challenge you to put your own money up and pay for individuals to go through a court complaint given you are so sure they will win

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/personal-finance/supreme-courts-ruling/

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/legal-system/precedents/
  • micky2phones
    Options
    Hi, i claimed 2300.00 from Abbey National.

400.00 from Capial One.

Helped claim 800.00 from Nat West for a friend.

Helped claim 900.00 from Capial One for another friend.

This was when Banks,Building Society and Credit Cards were paying from 50% to 75% back of the total charges paid.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 October 2016 at 8:43PM
    Options
    Taff
    You don't know what you are talking about. Copy and paste articles which have no legal
    basis does not help the OP.

Neither do you.

Back up your implied claim that £12 fees are not legal.

You do seem to love arguing for the sake of it. If you're so sure you would win a small claims court 'victory', then why are you offering to help someone if someone else pays your price for doing it? If you're that sure, do it for free and enjoy the smugness if you do win.

Actually, while I'm here, you never did update your post about taking Barclays and Barclaycard to the small claims court in 2006/2007. How did that go?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure