PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Struggling to pay your rent? Shelter needs your help!

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It might seem like a good idea but for one thing. Governments don't build houses. So unless you can see a way of closing about 70 universities that used to be technical colleges and turning them back into colleges that teach trades you are not going to get any more houses than those that are being build at the moment.

Someone had the "bright idea" that as many young people as possible should go to university. So we now have technical colleges that call themselves universities that offer degrees in subjects that only serve one purpose and that is to pay the salaries of the staff at those universities and charities that are teaching young people construction skills. So while the country relies on charities to teach the construction skills required to build more houses we are stuck.

The scandal isn't the lack of benefits it is the fact that very good jobs in construction are going to foreign workers because the colleges that used to train people in these skills are now called universities and they are offering really low standard education in courses leading to degrees in subjects like media studies, journalism, film studies, fashion, performing arts, game design, etc which either lead to unemployment or a minimum wage jobs and don't lead to a job building houses. The scandal is that the universities know that young people can't get jobs in these subjects and sadly it is the less intelligent student who will get taken in by the advertising these universities use to attract them.

Trade jobs require skills. There is far more skill required to lay bricks than there is to get a 1st class degree at some of the universities in the UK. So what is a degree from one of those worth?

To build more houses the UK needs to train more young people in construction trades.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    It really isn't, don't believe the propaganda.

No propaganda im an accountant and see that we borrow 90bn just to pay the interest on the debt

You obviously want a benefit life
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    how much does extra does it cost to have someone living with you short term, if you cant afford that then you need money management lessons also.

Thank you for the advice. I can well afford to keep him if we wants to come home it's just that I'd rather he didn't and he doesn't want to be living with his mother in the boondocks at his age.
    In fact, I'd pay his rent so that he didn't have to come home if it came to it but I really don't think that I should have to.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    It might seem like a good idea but for one thing. Governments don't build houses. So unless you can see a way of closing about 70 universities that used to be technical colleges and turning them back into colleges that teach trades you are not going to get any more houses than those that are being build at the moment.

Someone had the "bright idea" that as many young people as possible should go to university. So we now have technical colleges that call themselves universities that offer degrees in subjects that only serve one purpose and that is to pay the salaries of the staff at those universities and charities that are teaching young people construction skills. So while the country relies on charities to teach the construction skills required to build more houses we are stuck.

The scandal isn't the lack of benefits it is the fact that very good jobs in construction are going to foreign workers because the colleges that used to train people in these skills are now called universities and they are offering really low standard education in courses leading to degrees in subjects like media studies, journalism, film studies, fashion, performing arts, game design, etc which either lead to unemployment or a minimum wage jobs and don't lead to a job building houses. The scandal is that the universities know that young people can't get jobs in these subjects and sadly it is the less intelligent student who will get taken in by the advertising these universities use to attract them.

Trade jobs require skills. There is far more skill required to lay bricks than there is to get a 1st class degree at some of the universities in the UK. So what is a degree from one of those worth?

To build more houses the UK needs to train more young people in construction trades.
    Indeed - and the irony is that the govt are subsidising degrees in these useless subjects far more than degrees in STEM and other "proper" subjects, becauase those that do STEM degrees are likely to get well paid jobs and so end up paying most of their student loan back, whereas those with degrees in film studies etc might never earn above the £21k threshold and so never pay their loan back.

There should be some follow-up of graduates from every course and if a significant percentage are not in well paid jobs (say £25k+) by say 5 years after graduating, the course should lose its govt funding.

Brexit makes this more important - people don't want immigration? Well our own people will have to do the jobs then! We need to train them to build etc, not spend a fortune we'll never get back "educating" them in "media studies" etc.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 9:38AM
    Options
    My son's degree was Politics. (In case you thought it was Star Trek studies or Media Studies.)

ETA: There's a lot of sly digs going on here. I'm solvent, my son isn't a layabout, his degree is a bona fide subject, he does (and has) want to work. He isn't in debt. It has been established that he has been missing more than half of his benefits.

A lot of the replies read like they were written while the authors' buttocks were clenched together.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Thank you for the advice. I can well afford to keep him if we wants to come home it's just that I'd rather he didn't and he doesn't want to be living with his mother in the boondocks at his age.
    In fact, I'd pay his rent so that he didn't have to come home if it came to it but I really don't think that I should have to.

I am really just curious (so don't take it personally), I admit that I will never understand this reliance of benefits but I keep trying.
    If you could pay your rent, and he is your son, why should the state chip in in case of need? Very bizarre, makes me wonder if these reports we have from charities (this was a Shelter thread) and state offices are overwhelmed with no real urgent cases.
    EU expat working in London
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I am really just curious (so don't take it personally), I admit that I will never understand this reliance of benefits but I keep trying.
    If you could pay your rent, and he is your son, why should the state chip in in case of need? Very bizarre, makes me wonder if these reports we have from charities (this was a Shelter thread) and state offices are overwhelmed with no real urgent cases.

Let's hope you never lose your job then or face a reduction in income. I'm sure you don't and will not ever claim any benefits whilst living in the UK such as child benefit, tax credits, state pension, job seekers allowance, housing benefit.

The whole point of benefits is to be there as a safety net for people who, for whatever, reason find themselves out of work or unable to work, or to boost the incomes of low income households.
  • zagfles
    Options
    It really isn't, don't believe the propaganda.
    Speaking of propaganda, plenty of people here seem to believe the propaganda than benefits are really low. Till I came along no-one even seemed to question why Pimento's son was getting so little, they just assumed it was what people like him are entitled to, and calling it a "scandal".

The real scandal is people believing propaganda that benefits really are that low. It ends up with people not questioning it when they get told bulls**t like the OP's son was told, that he'd have to scrounge off family and friends.
  • zagfles
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    My son's degree was Politics. (In case you thought it was Star Trek studies or Media Studies.)

ETA: There's a lot of sly digs going on here. I'm solvent, my son isn't a layabout, his degree is a bona fide subject, he does (and has) want to work. He isn't in debt. It has been established that he has been missing more than half of his benefits.

A lot of the replies read like they were written while the authors' buttocks were clenched together.
    Don't take it personally - I for one was talking generally in my post about degrees etc, nothing to do with your son's situation which sounds like just a temporary out of work situation.
  • zagfles
    Options
    Why should pimento spay his/her adult son's rent? What next, should children pay their parents' pension?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure