New windows

Options

Comments

• Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Those things are used to hide the mess of the install on your plaster inside the house I think. I'd just fill it as has been mentioned, I wouldn't worry about those little cracks along the join. :)
  • strangeotron
    Options
    Speaking of making a mess with the plaster around the frame...

20161014_092339_zpsmnyoiaak.jpg
  • strangeotron
    Options
    Is this the sort of stuff to use? It was only a quid in poundland so it doesn't matter if not, although I have no idea how you open the top

20161014_143140_zpsxo3pamwj.jpg
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stanley knife for top of canister and also for applicator at 45 degree angle; cut according to width of bead required.

take it you bought a gun as well?

You Tube is probably your friend here!
  • strangeotron
    Options
    no, it came with the cap that you see in the picture. I don't know what you mean by gun
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 October 2016 at 3:32PM
    Options
    You need something like this, called a silicon applicator gun. MAKE SURE you buy one that fits your cartridge.
  • mollycat
    mollycat Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Borrow from a neighbour, they'll likely have one.

Seriously, get on You Tube for this, save you time and hassle.
  • strangeotron
    Options
    Ok thanks. I'll have to leave it till i can borrow a gun. It was only a quid so it doesn't matter either way,

However in fitting the new window they took down the vertical blind that was fixed to the previous window, at the frame. Unfortunately I cannot put that blind anywhere else since the wall isn't thick enough to take the weight, it has to go into the frame. I don't know if it's safe for me to do this, though I assume it must be since the old frame had it. I don't know why they didn't replace the blind when they fitted the new window. I can only assume it was above their pay grade.
  • Zoology_Dragon
    Options
    Ok thanks. I'll have to leave it till i can borrow a gun. It was only a quid so it doesn't matter either way,

However in fitting the new window they took down the vertical blind that was fixed to the previous window, at the frame. Unfortunately I cannot put that blind anywhere else since the wall isn't thick enough to take the weight, it has to go into the frame. I don't know if it's safe for me to do this, though I assume it must be since the old frame had it. I don't know why they didn't replace the blind when they fitted the new window. I can only assume it was above their pay grade.

It's not the window fitters' job to replace blinds or any other window coverings.
  • strangeotron
    Options
    It's not the window fitters' job to replace blinds or any other window coverings.
    Well that's unfortunate.

I'm reticent to drill into the frame in case I cause damage, I'm sure it would invalidate warranties that exist.

Can't really afford to buy new blinds - and even then they would also have to be drilled into the frame as before. The wall won't take the weight of the blind (i've tried).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure