Sky Fibre Max (severe packet loss poor dl?) with TP-LINK VR900 - Jumping the gun?

Options
Afternoon all, am I jumping the gun here?

After being on Sky Fibre unlimited (40/10) for the last year, I placed my notice of cancellation for my Sky package (TV, landline and Fibre) as no decent retention deals were being offered.

I called Sky the day after my service ceased and they offered a decent enough 'come back to Sky' price, so took it up. Go live date was yesterday, but the connection was 'working' from Friday night.

I'm anticipating 10 days of ups and downs, but I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is normal or not.

I'm syncing at 67824 down, and about 16000 up, and this falls within the higher range of expectations (as I'm 1.2 miles from the exchange).

The issue is the connection is dropping and reconnecting every 20 minutes or so, and the error rate (down) reported on my VR900 is 40k packets in the last 10 minutes alone. Just before I rebooted my VR900 earlier, it was reporting 1.7 million packets lost over the last 3 days.

Using both 2.4 and 5ghz bands on my Android phone, speedtest.net is reporting a download speed of between 10Mbps and about 22Mbps, and around 16Mbps up. Ethernet isn't giving me much more (25 up, 16 down).

This is annoying, as a week ago when I was on Fibre Unlimited I was syncing at a full 40Mbos/10Mbps, achieving around 35 to 37 down and 10 up (over WiFi and Ethernet), and was expecting things to get better and not worse with Fibre Max.

Do I need to wait it out, or is there something glaringly wrong here?

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you're only just reconnected, the DLM may take a week or so to settle, especially if you've increased from 40-10 to 80-20. Keep an eye on the error count, it may need a call to their tech support.

BTW, don't know if you've noticed a lot of work going on around the Grovesnor Road exchange, may also have a bearing on things (I'm in Wrexham also, and grew up round the corner from Gibson St ;) )
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GibsonSt19
    GibsonSt19 Posts: 2,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    If you're only just reconnected, the DLM may take a week or so to settle, especially if you've increased from 40-10 to 80-20. Keep an eye on the error count, it may need a call to their tech support.

BTW, don't know if you've noticed a lot of work going on around the Grovesnor Road exchange, may also have a bearing on things (I'm in Wrexham also, and grew up round the corner from Gibson St ;) )

Thanks chief. I was under the impression that DLM didn't involve constant disobeys and reconnects :(

Haven't noticed the Grosvenor Rd works. Don't get to town often really! It's been 12 years since I lived in Gibson St, but we go to Bradley Road Church :)
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    GibsonSt19 wrote: »
    Thanks chief. I was under the impression that DLM didn't involve constant disobeys and reconnects :(

Haven't noticed the Grosvenor Rd works. Don't get to town often really! It's been 12 years since I lived in Gibson St, but we go to Bradley Road Church :)

In theory the DLM shouldn't cause so many errors & disconnects, which indeed may be indicative of a line fault somewhere, that's why I said to give it a short while to allow it to settle - if it doesn't, then call tech supt. I did sunday school at Bradley Rd when I was a nipper (and the building was just a shack ;) )
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    GunJack wrote: »
    If you're only just reconnected, the DLM may take a week or so to settle...
    Unfortunately the speed direction is usually downwards though as more aggressive attempts to stabilise a problem are applied.

With VDSL it's the distance to cabinet that matters not distance to exchange. Were you given a speed estimate?

I'm not sure how things go as you are on Sky with presumably non-BTw backhaul but you can try the BTw speedtester through both tests to see if that says there is an issue they'll bother to fix...

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport