NO CREDIT CHECK Energy Companies

Options
2»

Comments

• Autumnella
    Options
    EDF Energy definitely do not carry out any kind of credit check.

Tbh House Martin, I don't know where you get your information from, I often see you posting incorrect information on here.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2018 at 5:25PM
    Options
    Autumnella wrote: »
    EDF Energy definitely do not carry out any kind of credit check.

Tbh House Martin, I don't know where you get your information from, I often see you posting incorrect information on here.
    EDF do credit check, its on record .I will hunt it out and post a link
    https://www.energycompanynumbers.co.uk/your-guide-to-energy-suppliers-and-credit-checks/. They have to check customers who wish to remove a prepayment meter for a credit meter but it is a "soft " external check which does not impact on a persons credit score. and is certainly less stringent than BGs who operate, very rightly, a tough one.
    TBH Autumnella, let me know when you think my info is incorrect.
    Are you trying to say that EDF do not do any background checks at all when a new customer wants to remove a prepayment meter and switch to a credit meter where they can obtain credit of many thousands of pounds?
    .They would be absolutely stupid to do that and negligent to the producers of the energy. Can you prove that ? can you post a link ?
    All suppliers should carry out VERY stringent checks which weed out the "professional " switchers who are out there trying to thieve energy by obtaining a credit meter property so they can rack up massive bills with no intention of ever paying it.
    My info on the energy board is mostly achieved from working over 20 years in the utilities industry ,in the field, and not perched on a chair in a warm office working for EDF.
    EDF are one of these foreign suppliers who DO NOT even run an effective Revenue Protection Unit. The one they use is extremely poor and may as not exist. They allow their customers to fiddle gas and electric and most of the time don t do anything to stop them.
    I was always emailing their RPU office after catching energy thieves with sub meters in place or bypassed meters and most of the time they never responded and the meters were still fiddled 6 months later..There is one famous example , (which went to OFGEM) when a customer with a lethal bypassed electric prepay meter, at ground level where a young child was inches from exposed live connections on a bypassed electric meter.
    When EDF reluctantly and slowly , sent a contracted "engineer " round to the lady occupiers terraced house in Beverly St. Goole, the occupier simply refused him access and he went off never to be seen again ! a year later she was still fiddling the electric meter.That is EDF for you ! Totally negligent. Not worthy of a big 6 suppliers licence IMO
    I have sent complaints into OFGEM many times about how bad EDF are with photos of very dangerous meters which EDF totally ignored.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi HM - the article at the link you provided is very poor. It is full of inaccuracies and contradictions, and the writer doesn't really know what he's talking about.

As I understand it, EDF neither credit check new customers nor report accounts to the credit reference bureaus (companies are not allowed to do the former, unless they also do the latter, and EDF certainly don't do the latter). However, if you look at their T&Cs there is mention of credit checks, but no explanation about how they are used. And crucially, they don't name the agencies. I should think the mention of credit reference agencies is to cover EDF in case they decide in the future to start using them. The T&Cs are pretty much industry standard.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    I would be careful and do the sums before commiting to credit meters.Eighteen days here on credit is around £27 and the amount is building daily.This has the potential to damage credit scores when debts begin to spiral,further smart meters your hands are entirely at the hands of the supplier who can do as they please refusing requests over the phone to change to prepayment or other actions.They can act without any of your interests from an office in another part of the country even disconnect your supply.
  • shiwen55
    Options
    EDF do credit check, its on record .I will hunt it out and post a link
    https://www.energycompanynumbers.co.uk/your-guide-to-energy-suppliers-and-credit-checks/. They have to check customers who wish to remove a prepayment meter for a credit meter but it is a "soft " external check which does not impact on a persons credit score. and is certainly less stringent than BGs who operate, very rightly, a tough one.
    TBH Autumnella, let me know when you think my info is incorrect.
    Are you trying to say that EDF do not do any background checks at all when a new customer wants to remove a prepayment meter and switch to a credit meter where they can obtain credit of many thousands of pounds?
    .They would be absolutely stupid to do that and negligent to the producers of the energy. Can you prove that ? can you post a link ?
    All suppliers should carry out VERY stringent checks which weed out the "professional " switchers who are out there trying to thieve energy by obtaining a credit meter property so they can rack up massive bills with no intention of ever paying it.
    My info on the energy board is mostly achieved from working over 20 years in the utilities industry ,in the field, and not perched on a chair in a warm office working for EDF.
    EDF are one of these foreign suppliers who DO NOT even run an effective Revenue Protection Unit. The one they use is extremely poor and may as not exist. They allow their customers to fiddle gas and electric and most of the time don t do anything to stop them.
    I was always emailing their RPU office after catching energy thieves with sub meters in place or bypassed meters and most of the time they never responded and the meters were still fiddled 6 months later..There is one famous example , (which went to OFGEM) when a customer with a lethal bypassed electric prepay meter, at ground level where a young child was inches from exposed live connections on a bypassed electric meter.
    When EDF reluctantly and slowly , sent a contracted "engineer " round to the lady occupiers terraced house in Beverly St. Goole, the occupier simply refused him access and he went off never to be seen again ! a year later she was still fiddling the electric meter.That is EDF for you ! Totally negligent. Not worthy of a big 6 suppliers licence IMO
    I have sent complaints into OFGEM many times about how bad EDF are with photos of very dangerous meters which EDF totally ignored.

I've had a look and it says EDF is not doing a credit check, thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport