PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

neighbor garage asbestos

Options
Dear all
i have moved to a new home for two weeks, I noticed that the neighbor in the garden has an asbestos garage roof, does not seem to be damaged but it's very dirty.
There are a lot of birds on the top, i don't know if this can be dangerous from the time the birds eat on the roof, my neighbor is really old man and probably does not know the real risk,
i don't wanna spend all day to check him, i have two kids my wife is worried, she doesn't want stay anymore in this house, but what i have to do i can't sell the house after one month, I also have a photo of the garage roof but I do not know if I can attach it
any suggestions, I do not know what to do right now

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mufasa wrote: »
    I do not know what to do right now
    You should stop worrying about your neighbour's garage roof. It's not going to do you any harm.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How can you be sure that the garage roof is asbestos?

From where do you see the danger?
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A dirty garage roof, eh?
    my neighbor is really old man and probably does not know the real risk
    Maybe the old man is more knowledgeable and understands that if you don't disturb it, there's no risk?

Are you even sure it is asbestos, and not cement board, which has been in use now, for decades?
  • mufasa
    mufasa Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 10 July 2017 at 1:55PM
    Options
    I'm not sure if it's asbestos, I'm not an expert, the garage is old I've seen in the past some asbestos roofs
    and this would seem like asbestos,do you know if there is somebody i can call ?
    I could have someone look into it without disturbing the neighbor
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kids broken up already?
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As long as you don't try to eat the roof, or jump up and down on it then there is virtually no risk. You'll likely come in contact with asbestos many times and not realise it, there are only certain scenarios that it presents a danger to health.

There is no requirement for your neighbour to replace it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a bird-lover and RSPB member I find this worrying.

Your neighbour clearly has no idea of the risk he is putting the local wildlife to. Birds, sadly, don't recognise asbestos when they see it, nor understand the risk of standing or pooping on it.

Why not suggest to your neighbour that he paint the outline of a cat on the shed roof? Or offer to paint it for him?
  • zebulon
    zebulon Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    n217970 wrote: »
    Kids broken up already?

Almost 2 weeks ago in some part of Scotland.
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    As a bird-lover and RSPB member I find this worrying.

Your neighbour clearly has no idea of the risk he is putting the local wildlife to. Birds, sadly, don't recognise asbestos when they see it, nor understand the risk of standing or pooping on it.

Why not suggest to your neighbour that he paint the outline of a cat on the shed roof? Or offer to paint it for him?

Or how about just leave neighbours garage alone if the asbestos in not damaged or cracked and mind own business
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This ancient garage was not there when the house was purchased ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure