Lenovo ideapad 100s

Options
Newusername1
Newusername1 Posts: 167 Forumite
edited 23 March 2017 at 7:01PM in Techie Stuff
£170 at currys although Argos on eBay are doing refurbished ones for approx. £110.

Is this laptop any good?, I only use it for a bit of light Microsoft office work and a small amount of web browsing, no gaming, got a PS3 and Vita for that, very light web browsing as I primarily use my phone for that. I only use a laptop say 1 hour a week.

If it's a dog has anyone any other suggestions at that sort of price.

Lastly has anyone brought any refurbished laptops through Argos eBay as its £60 cheaper, I'm a bit weary of refurbished laptops as I've currently got a dell Inspiron that was effectively refurbished from Tesco and that's been a dog from day one.

Comments

• were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    perhaps you should have put in a link to the product with the initial question?

No idea of this device, but 32 Gig 'Hard disk', where on mine just the c:\windows takes 16Gig and my programs are 3.5 Gig plus a few more necessary bits... not much will be left to store anything. This has also got 2GB memory, and 2 usb ports. Not exactly a Cray or D-wave.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2017 at 11:13AM
    Options
    No

What's the Service Tag on the Inspiron?
  • Newusername1
    Options
    were wrote: »
    perhaps you should have put in a link to the product with the initial question?

No idea of this device, but 32 Gig 'Hard disk', where on mine just the c:\windows takes 16Gig and my programs are 3.5 Gig plus a few more necessary bits... not much will be left to store anything. This has also got 2GB memory, and 2 usb ports. Not exactly a Cray or D-wave.

Link

Currys

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-100s-11-6-laptop-red-10139239-pdt.html#srcid=11026

Actually down in price to £149, so even more tempting.

Its 32GB, It will have Windows and Office 365, itunes and to back up my phone, a few word and excel documents but not much else, I really need it for my CV and I do a lot of study of Excel. Actually you make a point my phone will have more memory (64GB) which is a bit worrying.

But I can get through Currys with the laptop 2TB of online (cloud) storage for £20 (one off) would that be any good?. Never really used the cloud, except for backing up my iphone and now i've moved that to Itunes (I think). Could I use the cloud for itunes (and phone backup) for example and the 32GB just for Windows and Office 365 and a few docs. Not sure on the cloud, bit of a mystery to me. Maybe a USB flash drive or something, 128GB for £25?.

Plus £20 off Office 365 (cost £60) I currently pay £5 per month so there is a £20 saving to me there but an upfront £40 cost.

2GB memory means nothing to me, I understand a bit about storage but memory means nothing. I will not be running masses of applications in one go if that what it means at most at any one time have Itunes and say a word/excel program running at the same time.

2 USB ports is ok, I only need 1 for my iphone.
  • Newusername1
    Options
    No

What's the Service Tag on the Inspiron?

OK?, the storage (Hard Disk) at 32GB looks about as half as good as my Iphone which is worrying, coming from what 'were' has just said. Well it looks like a web surfing laptop and i've largely got my iphone for that.

I'll just !!!!!! off to the nearest laptop for under £300 thread/article/tip now shall I?.

Unless you can blind me with science or on this very thread someone can pull a rabbit out the hat and plonk say a £200 laptop in front of me (money is tight) cause the Dell Inspiron i'm currently using should have put down at birth, if i'd actually had the pleasure of looking at loads of hard core dodgy !!!!!! on it I could understand its behavior, but no I took it out the box and opened it up and from that very second it acted like someone had spend possibly the last 10 years watching hard core dodgy !!!!!! on it 24/7.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 March 2017 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Re install windows on it, tell us what the service tag is and "we" will give you help to make it run as good as possible.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    £170 at currys although Argos on eBay are doing refurbished ones for approx. £110.

Is this laptop any good?, I only use it for a bit of light Microsoft office work and a small amount of web browsing, no gaming, got a PS3 and Vita for that, very light web browsing as I primarily use my phone for that. I only use a laptop say 1 hour a week.

If it's a dog has anyone any other suggestions at that sort of price.

Lastly has anyone brought any refurbished laptops through Argos eBay as its £60 cheaper, I'm a bit weary of refurbished laptops as I've currently got a dell Inspiron that was effectively refurbished from Tesco and that's been a dog from day one.

I bought one a couple months ago. It's currently on eBay for £100.

Does that tell you enough?
  • Newusername1
    Newusername1 Posts: 167 Forumite
    edited 24 March 2017 at 11:01AM
    Options
    Re install windows on it, tell us what the service tag is and "we" will give you help to make it run as good as possible.

I'll take you up on that offer. With pleasure.

This is what i've got (messes around with the computer for 1/2 an hour trying to find what he's got/bought 5 years ago).

Its a dell Inspiron M5030.

So its this......

https://www.tesco.com/direct/dell-inspiron-m5030-laptop-3gb-320gb-156-display-black/210-3502.prd?source=others

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/dell-inspiron-m5030-937911/review

I actually got it from tesco, but it looked like a return, the box was open, it was discounted, I now know why someone returned it (assuming someone did), because it's the very !!!!! of Satan himself.

So its 3GB and 320GB HD which actually doesn't sound too bad. Better than the Lenovo I was looking at, by a distance actually.

What an Intel Celeron processor means these days I don't know.

Its running latest windows (i think I got a free download about 18 months ago) and office 365 (which i've got for £5 a month).

Physically its in good shape, screens good, keyboard is fine, looks like new, the slight problem I have now noticed is I want to load CD's into Itunes, i'm big into CD's, the slight problem is when I put a CD in the drive makes all the right noises and lights up but Itunes won't recognise the CD, so I can't transfer my big CD collection to Itunes then through to my Iphone. Don't watch DVD's on it, could try one to see if it plays DVD's.

I have a few documents I want to keep on the computer, CV really and a few other, I have a 4GB USB thingy that I can save them too. The rest is junk.

I tether it to my mobile phone, have 20GB virgin plan and when its connected via USB that works fine. No WIFI, it's too expensive.

You say reinstall windows - Give me a clue?

Do I need to back up my doc's to my 4GB USB thingy, i've got a cloud, but I don't understand it, an Icloud and a OneDrive but I don't understand really where they've come from or what i'm doing with them ones apple I assume ones Microsoft perhaps.

I don't mind spend a few quid on it, not got much, ain't even got WIFI, or a car, wife left me after the heart attack, then I lost my job, then there was two years of chronic alcoholism, three years on ESA in a support group but today i'm getting a cat with a grade 6 (highest grade) heart murmur.:o

https://www.catchat.org/overlooked/index.php/birmingham/1592-apollo
  • Newusername1
    Options
    Madbags wrote: »
    I bought one a couple months ago. It's currently on eBay for £100.

Does that tell you enough?

OK, I think we've established its a bit of a dog with fleas.

Count yourself lucky i've just suffered 5 years with the Dell from Hell, I replaced it 2 years ago for £400 with a Sony, broke after 9 months, sent it back, they said it was water damage and wouldn't replace it, then consequently ended up back with the Dell from Hell.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    By the way, you don't need to pay for MS office.
    You can use free alternative like Libre Office or open office.

If you go for the re-installation route, I suggest you ask around your friends or family to borrow internet.
    It could take quite a bit of data for updates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure