Allied International - Chasing non-existing debt?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has dealt with these?

They have, out of the blue, called my OH's parents chasing a debt that was paid off fully 4-5 years ago. This is a couple of years before I met her, and she of course, no longer lives there anymore and hasn't for nearly 3 years. After a quick research, it looks like they are quite heavily linked to banks, I noticed Lloyds pop up a few times.

She had a CC and Loan with them, but as mentioned, these were the ones that were paid off 4-5 years ago and has had zero correspondence since.

I know how they would try to extract information out of her, so she rang back, number with-held, and would only give them her name (I told her not to give them phone numbers or anything other than her name). They seemed frustrated with that, repeatedly asking for a reference number (they've never sent a letter to the address they supposedly had on file when her dad answered so how can she possibly have one?) and phone numbers, but then confirmed that her name wasn't on any of their systems.

So - they don't have her name on file (apparently) but rang up her dads number asking for her about debt. I'm not quite sure I understand how all this works out?

Does anyone have any experience of something like this?

For the time being (and until they can supply any evidence of any debt), we've advised her dad to ignore them - however, we are a little wary of them starting to harass his phone/address for what she would consider, a non-existent debt, something her dad knows for a fact was paid off, too.
Professional Data Monkey

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Unless you get something in writing, ignore them completely.

If or when a letter arrives, then send the "provit" letter asking them to prove there legal right to collect this alleged amount of money.

Oh, and stay off the phone to these people as well, deal only in writing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi szam

I don't think Allied deserve to be taken seriously until at the very least they put something in writing. If it is specifically your partner they are claiming is the debtor, the debt collectors should not be divulging the reason for their enquiries to anyone other than her.

If she wants to do something more proactive, she can send a "prove it" letter to Allied:

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Complaining-to-debt-collection-agencies-that-you-do-not-owe-the-debt-%28sole-name%29.aspx

As you will see, this contains references to relevant rules and guidance on how disputed debts should be handled. You may wish to add a further reference to any examples of contact being made with other parties e.g. your parents.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As mentioned above - wait until a letter arrives and until then tell her dad to ignore them. He can tell them to do one and they shouldn't be discussing any debt with him if it's not his - Data protection...

It is not impossible the debt was settled and Lloyds hasn't marked the right systems etc, happened to me with Lloyds too. It's also not impossible that your GF has a name that is the same/similar to another debtor. These people are on commission so at times they will get a little unethical or at least used to. I've been out of the loop for a while but it wasn't unheard of that they would chase other people with the same name for a debt...

Let us know how you get on :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers.

I thought as much that ignoring them would be enough.

As mentioned, the call was just to see whether she was even on their database, and if so, what it was in relation to. I know the questions they'd try to ask and the information they would try to obtain, which is why we limited it to name only, not giving any other details and withholding the number so they cannot obtain this and call her this way. The person on the other end turning around and pretty much saying "we have no record of anyone by that name" affirms that if they call again, her dad can tell them to stop making up debts that don't exist (I'm assuming this is what is happening) and to stop calling.

As mentioned, it made the person on the other end irate when my OH wouldn't release any phone number (or the supposed account number she asked for repeatedly), and I suspect was even more annoyed that she couldn't obtain the mobile number either as this was withheld.

Out of curiosity, under what circumstance would they have called about an alleged debt, but actually have no record of said person when calling back? Would it be cynical of me, or out of the realms of possibility, to believe that they may just make up debts and prey on vulnerable people who will just up and pay at the sign of any debt collector for the fear of being harassed? It all seems a bit weird as her previous debt never went to a debt collector at any point.
    Professional Data Monkey

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    szam_ wrote: »

Out of curiosity, under what circumstance would they have called about an alleged debt, but actually have no record of said person when calling back? Would it be cynical of me, or out of the realms of possibility, to believe that they may just make up debts and prey on vulnerable people who will just up and pay at the sign of any debt collector for the fear of being harassed? It all seems a bit weird as her previous debt never went to a debt collector at any point.

Debts get sold on all the time, normally in large batches, sometimes with no more than a balance, a surname, and a partial address.

Some companies specialize in buying accounts such as this, they then attempt to trace the original account holder by casting there net wide, and contacting anyone within a certain area with the same surname, or other similar details.

They know that some people will pay up without question, if they make 200 inquiries, and just one person bites and pays the debt, then its been worth it, and thats exactly how they operate.

Thats why you should never engage with these companies unless they write to you, then ask them to prove there case, which legally they have to do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure