IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

How do I know if ANPR was used?

Options
Hi all,

I recently received a Parking Charge Notice from National Parking Management through the post. I was not issued with a ticket on my vehicle so I assume that they used ANPR but is there any way of finding out for sure? I am asking because they are an IPC member and there was no signage indicating use of ANPR therefore if they did use ANPR they are in breach of the IPC Code of Practice.

The area I parked was a very small stretch of road which is apparently private but surrounded by public highway, in fact half of the road in question is public. There was some signage around but it just stated 'private land' so I did not realise the road itself was included!

I don't intend on paying but I am going to appeal to just trying to be as informed as possible before I send a letter.

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The IPC code of conduct is a joke , the PPC pay the IPC so that they can get info from the DVLA , unless a IPC member was to be caught streaking thu harrods GLADSTONES will not care

this mob use a bloke on a pushbike with a kodak

all perfectly legal according to the IPC
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • tigerlilyb84
    Options
    Hmm ok well that answers that one! Another thing, as part of the terms and conditions of parking it states you must have a permit, however the same signs are on a shop building around the corner that has bays, yet the shop does not issue permits and it appears that NPM do not enforce parking fines for patrons?

Grounds for appeal based on inconsistent enforcement of their regulation/impossible to actually obtain a permit?

Further, they actually sent the letter to the wrong house - I think this may be due to a DVLA error but again grounds for appeal?
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the shop may not have hired them , permits from landowner
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • pappa_golf
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    any mistake with your address and the DVLA is down to you , they can only go from the info recieved
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    No PG, it could very well be their error, especially if the information they received was correct.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Further, they actually sent the letter to the wrong house - I think this may be due to a DVLA error but again grounds for appeal?
    Forget finding grounds for appeal!

Read up on the game you are caught up in by spending some time on the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum

You will see the futility of appealing to IPC companies, and a template letter to send just to show a judge (should it come to a hearing) that you didn't simply ignore them
  • tigerlilyb84
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'm super confused though and more worried really about the company taking it further? Does that template letter usually do the trick? I can't afford to risk being taken to court but purely on the principle of the situation I do not want to pay up.

Having read the legislation it seems like the keeper is liable if the driver is not identified?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And now look at the link on Pappa Golf's post on your other thread*.

See if you can work out how likely court action is.

*see the futility of multiple threads about one incident yet?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having read the legislation it seems like the keeper is liable if the driver is not identified?
    Then you need to read 'the legislation' again.

Though it might be easier reading post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'm super confused though and more worried really about the company taking it further? Does that template letter usually do the trick? I can't afford to risk being taken to court but purely on the principle of the situation I do not want to pay up.

Have you read the thread you were pointed to in #7?

Because if you have you have missed the futility of the appeal - discussed there as well as #7.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure