Egg credit card - possible mis-sold PPI - advice needed!

Options
Hi there, new to the Forum and would appreciate some advice.

I had an account with Egg credit card from 2005-2007. I hold no paperwork re the account as it was done online, and wanted to check whether I paid PPI or not as have no clue.

I wrote to Egg Banking back in November 2011, enclosing a cheque for £1 requesting the terms and conditions of my account. They replied a few weeks later saying that as my account was closed they were under no obligation to provide me with the information.

Having a look on this site, the advice from Martin was to then write to them again, enclosing a cheque for £10 requesting a full breakdown of my account, which I did about a month ago. I have received a response from Egg saying the same thing as before - as my account was closed they were under no obligation to provide me with the information.

I have spoken to the Financial Ombudsman today for advice, they have said if I feel they are withholding information from me, then I can take it to the Information Commissioner.

Is this the right way to handle this? I'm considering going with one of these PPI companies to handle this on my behalf as I have several other accounts with other companies and if this is the response I am going to get I might aswell get someone to do the legwork for me!

Thanks!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this the right way to handle this?

The £1 method was the wrong method. That only applies to debts outstanding/open accounts.

The £10 method is what should be used if you are asking them to search their relevant files. They have to comply with that request. Did you make it clear that you were requested a Data Subject Access Request or did you use S78 of the consumer credit act in your request?
    I'm considering going with one of these PPI companies to handle this on my behalf as I have several other accounts with other companies and if this is the response I am going to get I might aswell get someone to do the legwork for me!

A claims company has no way to find out this information as it is not in the public domain. They also use the same free of charge complaints process as you would use. Except they charge you for it.

The biggest issue you may well have is that Barclays were only provided data on accounts that were open at the time they took on the business. If you closed your Egg account prior to the Barclaycard takeover then they may have nothing more than very basic detail to give you. They may not be able to tell you if you had PPI or not. Even if they do tell you, you need to remember that there is nothing wrong with having PPI. It is about how it was sold to you. At the moment, you dont know if you had it. So what would be your reasons for complaint assuming you did have it?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Redgirl_04
    Redgirl_04 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - thanks for your reply :-)

No - I didn't mention S78 of the consumer credit act in my request, just asked for a full breakdown of my account. I've been advised they should provide me with information as per the Data Protection Act?

Secondly, my reasons for complaint if I did pay PPI are that I have never knowingly taken out PPI with any credit card or loan agreement as don't think its worth it. I am covered in my job re sickness, redundany etc so no need to have it. I have no idea if I paid PPI or not, but plenty of people have told me to enquire. I'm thinking its worth a shot? :-)
  • eve1958
    Options
    Hi!

I've had exactly the same response from barclaycard with response to my egg cc. They are saying they have no details of my account with egg as it was closed in January 2011. Does anyone know when barclaycard took over the egg accounts. I've tried to log onto my egg account but no joy. I was going to send £10 to see if they would then send me more details but reading your post now I'm in limbo what to do?
  • mt7x2
    mt7x2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    We sent a SAR to
    Egg
    Riverside road
    Pride Park
    Derby

Our accounts were closed in 2008 and we received all the info needed.
  • Redgirl_04
    Options
    well I have had a bit of success - Egg sent me all my statements from my account the other day. Lo and Behold I was paying PPI (repayment protector insurance) - I have completed a claim form and sent copies of my statements in asking for a refund. No way would I have taken PPI out knowingly.

Eve - I'm not sure when Barclaycard took over Egg, I think it was in the last year or so? If you opened your account with Egg, then I would write to them, at the Derby address (thats the one I used). Enclose a cheque for £10 asking for a full breakdown of your account. Good luck :-)
  • Redgirl_04
    Options
    Just thought I woild provide an update - Egg honoured my complaint and I received just over £313 refund from them (I paid just under £200 in PPI). Success! I am doing the same now with Natwest who are being a bit slow also
  • Saver12345
    Options
    mt7x2 wrote: »
    We sent a SAR to
    Egg
    Riverside road
    Pride Park
    Derby

Hi, I had egg card and I have closed the account I think it was 2007, What do I need to ask them to send me , is it statement?,
    Any help please.
  • mt7x2
    mt7x2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Saver12345 wrote: »
    Hi, I had egg card and I have closed the account I think it was 2007, What do I need to ask them to send me , is it statement?,
    Any help please.

Hi there, I think its a SAR you request, cost £10. They then send you all the info they have on you. They sent us 4 years worth if statements. I have had this claim with the FOS for 18 months an they have just upheld it :). Go to wait a few more weeks for EGG to pay out.
  • Stroggy4
    Options
    mt7x2 wrote: »
    We sent a SAR to
    Egg
    Riverside road
    Pride Park
    Derby

Can you please tell me what an SAR is?
    Is there a postcode for this address?
    Do I need to send them any money?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stroggy4 wrote: »
    Can you please tell me what an SAR is?
    Is there a postcode for this address?
    Do I need to send them any money?

A DSAR is a request for all the data the body holds on you, you have to pay £10 and there is no guarantee they will still hold anything.

Just send it to whoever is dealing with Egg now (was Canada Square for the older inactive accounts)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure