Redundant and owed money

Options
At the end of July everybody in my company was made redundant with the exception of myself, so during the month of August it was just myself and the MD of the company.

I was constantly advised that I needed to work as hard as possible and hopefully the business would survive through the quiet winter months. This all turned out to be lies, as I was made redundant on Friiday 26th August. Thankfully I was paid for August but am owed 6 years redundancy, notice pay and holiday pay. At the time I was advised that the company did not have the funds to pay my redundancy and that I will need to claim my money through the government redundancy scheme as the company would be liquidated.

The business is now being run by a competitor. My research has shown that the competitor is renting the website and my boss is receiving a commission/fee.

I spoke to my boss last Friday who advised me that I would hear from the liquidators this week and would receive a letter of redundancy etc but I currently have received nothing.

As he has been really dishonest recently, is really don't know if he is telling the truth or just fobbing me off.

If necessary I would prepared to take the matter to an employment tribuneral as I am owed about £6,000.

Should I be patient and give him a couple of weeks or give him a deadline? Any thoughts or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    Were you told this in writing (claim via the Govt scheme), or was it just a verbal assurance?

Best requesting confirmation of this via email and letter. ie essentially you require either funds owed or confirmation that the firm is insolvent.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Bbc1000 wrote: »

The business is now being run by a competitor. My research has shown that the competitor is renting the website and my boss is receiving a commission/fee.

If this is true, then something isn't right. An insolvency practitioner would not allow money to be paid to the boss from the disposal of company assets - that is money for the creditors.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Unless the website was owned personally by the Director
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    redmalc wrote: »
    Unless the website was owned personally by the Director
    Possibly. But the "business" isn't. And if the "business" is trading or appears to be trading, whilst insolvent, that is a crime. A competitor could buy, or rent, the website address. But that website address should not be purporting to be a business that is insolvent. And that is what the OP is saying is happening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure