Some advice

Options
Hi All,

Has anyone had any involvements with speaking to credit card companies to negotiate special interest rates etc etc..

To put you in the picture, i'm getting a new flat and need to buy furniture etc and was looking for a way to ask my credit card companies to reduce the interest charges to hopefully 0% in order to complete the purchase. All C/C I hold have a nil balance.

I know some people may say just take out another credit card ie Barclaycard offering 0% for 12 months but i can't as my credit history isn't very good and won't pass the scoring.

Some tips to say to my existing c/c companies would be appreciated together with anymore advice..

Thanks!!

Comments

• Galstonian
    Galstonian Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Options
    There is a difference between simply asking a company to reduce their charges perhaps as a gesture of goodwill to an existing customer as opposed to voluntary arangements to pay off debts. If you are buying the new flat I would strongly suggest you try not to enter into a voluntary arrangement as it will not improve your credit rating.

If you are prepared to stretch the truth then you might call them up and say you've been offered a deal elsewhere but because you like them and don't want hassle you'd prefer to stay with them if they are prepared to match it. There is certainly no harm in trying this.
  • matrix999
    matrix999 Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts