PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Price increases

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I normally keep Elmlea long life single cream in the fridge and had been paying around 70p for a carton which I use with my ground coffee, In Icelands today it was priced at £1.00 good job I bought some about three weeks ago for 70p, I'll probably go back to drinking it black if it keeps on rising like that
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    today in pound land pears soap 2 for a quid on the small shelf edge soap 100 gm when i looked some had 100gm on them some had 75gm so take it they are they new ones.....i got 4 of the 100gm ones xx
    onwards and upwards
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    We started buying President French butter about 3 years ago when we went low carb. That's gone from £1.10 to £2 in that time. Couldn't quite believe it a couple of weeks ago when we bought it in Waitrose and thought we were paying OTT but it's the same in Tesco now.

Ditto - couldn't believe how much the President butter had risen :eek: But do like it:)

What has shocked me most lately is that clotted cream has almost doubled in price everywhere in a year - obviously it's a dairy thing:(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought my usual organic butter yesterday in sainsburys, £2. We have to watch out for goodies made with butter, they will either increase in price or they will start using added hydrogenated fat or palm oil
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As the OP reported, butter used to be less than £1 in Aldi, now it's £1.40! The unsalted and the salted.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I buy butter from Sainsburys (the only other sm near us is a local Co-op) and remember complaining in October 2016 about the almost indecent price increase then. It's gone up at least once more since - could even be twice - so it's now £2.90 for a 500g block and £1.60 for 250g. I've switched to using a cheaper alternative butter spread for baking, mashed potatoes etc (£1.10 for 500g) and find it's a perfectly acceptable substitute. :) We like butter though so I still buy it and save it for toast and sandwiches.

Next Friday (17 Nov) there's a Food Unwrapped supermarket special programme on C4 at 8pm. The blurb says it's "a look at why the prices of some foods have risen so much over the last year and how the latest technology can help customers stay ahead of the supermarket pricing game". Plus an investigation into why some brands have been shrinking in size whilst staying the same price. Not sure if it will tell us anything that we don't already know but I'll be watching with interest. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I normally keep Elmlea long life single cream in the fridge and had been paying around 70p for a carton which I use with my ground coffee, In Icelands today it was priced at £1.00 good job I bought some about three weeks ago for 70p, I'll probably go back to drinking it black if it keeps on rising like that

Can't remember what it was in Sainsburys the last time I bought some but it's 80p now. :(
    today in pound land pears soap 2 for a quid on the small shelf edge soap 100 gm when i looked some had 100gm on them some had 75gm so take it they are they new ones.....i got 4 of the 100gm ones xx

It would be rude not to! :rotfl: Just shows it pays to rummage.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I've long been using Knights Castile soap and always got it from the cheap stores at 6 x 100g bars wrapped together for £1 or 99p. Same everywhere.

Then, perhaps about three years ago, I saw the changeover when the pack shrunk from six to five bars. I stocked up majorly on the old deal and won't need to buy soap for an awful long time.

Then, the sneaky bu88ers shrunk the 100g bars to 90g and now the pack is 4 x 90g bars for your £1, a shrinkage of 240g of the original 600g which your fine English pound used to get you.

I like grass-fed butter esp Kerrygold, and stock up when I can get it on offer. Am just coming to the end of a lot which I got at £1.20 (butter is freezable, not everyone knows this).;) Still in hopes of getting a re-run of a deal which saw me buying butter at 0.08p a 250g block the other year, because it was going OOD that day.

And they say there's very little inflation?!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    good point grey queen butter freezes well i tend to buy when reduced and chuck it in to the freezer i like it for flapjacks never got any for 8p though xx
    onwards and upwards
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p 8p butter was one of my best ever YS deals, it was in the gap between Xmas and New Year, sometimes you get lucky with YS then as their stock control (this was tesc0) gets a bit haywire.

I'm only buying butter one pat at a time, unless and until I can see a v.good deal - and have the space to freeze it - in which case, I shall stock up.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills