help. scottish power

Options
i have just changed from sothern electric, to scottish power fixed rate after following the link here to uswitch. i thought i was getting a good deal, especially with all the promised price rises coming. BUT southern electric have phoned me with the old please dont leave bit, and they assure me that though i have a fixed rate deal with scottish power, this only fixes the tarrifs, and they can add a surcharge every year; and this isnt fixed, so if prices do go up they just whack it on the surcharge. there was no mention of this on uswitch, maybe i was a bit thick but it just gave me an annual estimated saving so i clicked on the swich link. southern electric are going to phone me back on monday so im tring to find out if the surcharge bit is true, and am i really better off with fixed rate. :confused:
:j
Official DFW nerd club member 049

Comments

• mad
    mad Posts: 259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    see if there is any help on this site https://www.energywatch.org.uk/index.asp
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Options
    Why don't you just ring Scottish Power and ask them, I've always found them easy to talk to. Personally I think that Southern are just trying it on, but I could be wrong.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • pricefighter
    Options
    Southern Electric are telling you porkie pies.No such surcharges exist.

I have recently changed to the Scottish Power capped to 30/9/2007 offer.
    The terms and conditions of the offer guarantee that the quoted prices will remain capped until the 30/9/2007.As long as you remain in the same property.

Did you not get a leaflet from Scottish Power explaining the offer?

PS. Its not fixed its capped. ;)
    PF.
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can anyone help I have just been onto Scotish Power and ask for the "online saver deal" and I would be a new customers by switching to Scottish Power from BG.

However the man said I didnt want that deal as the price would be going up !

Instead he tried to get me to sign up to a deal where :-

Elec

Standing charge of 18.04 per day then a rate of 1.845

Gas

Standing Charge of 20.41 per day then a rate of 6.265

He didnt tell me the name of this tarrif but tried really hard to get me to sign up. Is this the offer that you ment as the "online saver deal" ?

Now I am even more confused and as its the last day (which he didnt mention) need to decide very soon !

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction ? Especially as when I look on their website it doesnt mention anything about Standing Charge !!
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • matty022000
    Options
    thanks for the replies, i have been onto Scottish power, and they have logged a complaint with the omsbudsman, as they state this is an outwright lie, you do pay £4pm, fee for having the capped rate; but this stays at £4pm for the lenth of the contract. for the benefit of 'ahll' i was linked into the contract after doing a search on uswitch. thanks for the help.
    :j
    Official DFW nerd club member 049
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Options
    ahll wrote:
    Hi can anyone help I have just been onto Scotish Power and ask for the "online saver deal" and I would be a new customers by switching to Scottish Power from BG.

However the man said I didnt want that deal as the price would be going up !

Instead he tried to get me to sign up to a deal where :-

Elec

Standing charge of 18.04 per day then a rate of 1.845

Gas

Standing Charge of 20.41 per day then a rate of 6.265

He didnt tell me the name of this tarrif but tried really hard to get me to sign up. Is this the offer that you ment as the "online saver deal" ?

Now I am even more confused and as its the last day (which he didnt mention) need to decide very soon !

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction ? Especially as when I look on their website it doesnt mention anything about Standing Charge !!

Can anyone tell what the Scottish Power deal is for a capped rate without Standing Order for Yorkshire area as the one they quoted me above it with a Standing charge which cost me £74.50 for Gas and £65.85 Elec before I used any juice - £140.35.
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    Options
    No standing charge is a load of spin by the energy companies. The only way I would see it being of any advantage would be if you went to Spain for the winter and turned off the power and gas.
    I know it appears that if you use a little you will save on these tarrifs but you still pay the equivalent of the standing charge each month by paying more for the first X units you consume.
    ahll: All you need to do is put your details into a switching engine to find out the deal you require, you could even try the energy companies own website.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure