Reclaim before switching?

Options
Hi
I am planning on reclaiming my bank account charges on returned or failed DD and SO.
But i also want to switch accounts to first direct
So do i need to reclaim before i can switch or will i still have a right to reclaim if ive switched?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am planning on reclaiming my bank account charges on returned or failed DD and SO.

What reason are you using for doing that? (noting that the banks won the court case on charges back in 2009 and no longer have to consider unfair bank charge complaints)
    But i also want to switch accounts to first direct
    First direct cherry pick their accounts. They have a tighter criteria than the other banks. Are you sure you will meet their criteria with your unpaid items?
    So do i need to reclaim before i can switch or will i still have a right to reclaim if ive switched?

Banks only need to consider requests under current financial hardship if they are your current bankers. If you move elsewhere you eliminate that option.

If you are after a goodwill gesture (e.g. your first mistake and it was a one off) then you are more likely to get a goodwill gesture if they are you current bankers. Not if you are not using them any more (as there is little or no goodwill).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mariafarm69
    Options
    Hi can I reclaim my bank charges, they keep allowing money to go out of my account when it's not in there and then charging me...I've just put up my overdraft limit so there's money in my account and now their allowing money to be taken which then puts me over the overdraft limit...struggling with paying my bills because of charges ,any help would be grateful ...
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can try to make a case to your bank for you being in current financial hardship.
    However, the bank don't keep allowing money to go out, you keep either spending it, or you are not meeting your bills.
    They may refund charges, or they may suspend overdraft interest, but you won't know till you ask.
    Be aware though that any non-essential payments like Sky tv will be classed as non-essential and will lessen your complaint reasons.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi can I reclaim my bank charges, they keep allowing money to go out of my account when it's not in there and then charging me..

The bank is not there to control your spending. That is your job. Not all transactions check your account balance as you make it. That is why your account falls under a credit agreement.

So, on that basis, there is no reason for them to refund. You just need to control your bank account better. There may be other basis you can see about a refund. i.e. CURRENT financial hardship or goodwill gesture for first time error on your part.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure