Great Scottish Run 10k - Glasgow 5th October 2014

Options
Curious if anyone is doing The Great Scottish Run on 5th October 2014? I'm currently training for the 10k.

Would be curious to hear others training plans and advice on the route. I'm worried about the hill on St Vincent Street and getting up onto the Kingston Bridge, however the rest looks nice and flat.

Comments

• nikki1810
    Options
    I'm doing this but I've never done a 10k before.

I plan on doing a few training sessions on North Portland Street along at Strathclyde Uni:
    https://www.google.com/maps/@55.860715,-4.243042,3a,75y,359.64h,84.74t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sob6sp8UmUak9Trw527xbDw!2e0

If you can do that, you can do any hill!
  • gleek1
    gleek1 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Don't be tempted to go too fast at the start. That is a general rule for all races, but I would say especially so for this one because the hill is quite long - including the bridge and quite steep and it is right at the start so you haven't warmed up. Don't panic that you are going slowly - too many people, especially people in the last waves tend to hare off . I am often surprised at the speed of some people in the later waves - why did they predict a slow time when they are so fast ...? But when you overtake them going down hill on the bridge you realise that holding back was a good thing. I think there is a little stinker of a hill on one of the parks - Pollock or Bellahouston but don't know if I am getting confused with the old half route!
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 August 2014 at 6:34PM
    Options
    Thanks both.

Lol, I don't think I'd be able to go 'too fast' up that hill. :rotfl: Being serious though, yes, I'll hold back my pace a bit. Will be hard as there will be at least one other I know in the same group, so I hope that doesn't make us get carried away. Have been doing trial runs, 3k, 5k etc and very comparable. I however have been running all summer but the other girl has just started out in the last few weeks (although having ran before). I'm concerned she'll improve more than me now!!

Thankfully gleek1 I think we don't go through the parks. Pollock is supposedly a bit of a nightmare. I registered for Parkrun there last year and still haven't ran it....ended up changing my home run to a new one when it started up instead!

Nikki, thanks for that. Just showed my husband the streetview of that...bearing in mind he's just back from a run, he just said 'you don't want to be running up that'. :rotfl: I think you're right, would prepare you for anything :)

With that in mind though, I've been thinking about trying this.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lyle+Rd,+Greenock,+Inverclyde/@55.956559,-4.784634,3a,75y,299.02h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sCDIyhjaCKHE4Q_DGOVHnYw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x4889afb86c0caa83:0x9eb733befa6ff6c6

It would be a slow endurance test. If you continue uphill on the map you will see how long it goes on for. Great views :rotfl: Good luck to you on the day. I've registered as 1.05 to 1.10....although I do a 34 minute 5k, so I'll be at the back of that pack. At least it saves me trying to get past folk :)
  • VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    The hill at the start is the hardest part of the route. The ramp onto the bridge barely counts as a hill. Neither of the parks on the old half route have anything approaching a hill in them. Pollok Park does undulate rather than being pancake flat though.

I've done the half the seven years, but might skip it this year as I have a marathon the week before. Slightly tempted just to jog the half just to keep my run of appearances going at it though.

Simple rule of running hills, train on them. They're never fun to run up, but the more you run them the better you get on them.
  • gleek1
    Options
    Guess it all depends on fitness and definition of hill and flat...If you have only trained on pancake flat routes then any undulation would be tough. VestanPance, you are clearly a runner with several years of half marathon experience and doing a marathon now. Of course the 10K route is going to be a breeze. Your fitness is up there to deal with pretty much anything -that in itself gives you mental toughness!!!

In the parks it is not very hilly, but it is over half way/towards the end of the routes and if you have paced badly - or it is quite hot - then this is the point where people feel rough - especially if they haven't raced often or have had the mental toughness to get through it. There was - maybe in the Women's 10K - I only ran it once - a steepish hill - I might be getting confused with that.

Anyway, I would say that if you have blasted it up the hill at St Vincent street, and you are going too fast, the ramp at the bridge can be the straw that breaks the camel's back - you see that every year in the 1hr 05 wave. I put myself in that wave to make me not go too fast at it is so congested you are forced to go a bit slower for the first k or so, but you can see people haring off who then die on the ramp.

Yes it is relatively flat, but it depends on fitness, prior training and whether you hate hills or not.. it is not fair on people to give them a false impression when you don't know fitness levels. I would rather Lesley74 thought that I had over-egged how bad the hills were and she found them easy at the end than thought I had underestimated them and got demoralised like I used to - but the I am just a wuss!!!

Lesley and Nikki, you will both be fine!!! Sounds like you are putting in the training. I will keep my fingers crossed for lovely cool weather. Let us know how you get on!
  • VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    I'm an experienced runner but being honest 10k's are my least favourite distance, as I'm at full tilt from start to finish so never enjoy them.

In terms of worrying about hills, or anything else, well that's what training is for. Include hills on your training runs and hills in races become less daunting.

Fitness and hill running aren't actually equal either. I've seen fast runners on the flat with plenty of experience grind to a halt as they do no hill running. I'd say better hill running is more leg strength rather than cardio fitness, with cardio fitness often being the stronger aspect for runners.

I agree that Lesley and Nikki will both be fine. If it's your first 10km don't worry about a time and try to enjoy it and run for the achievement of completing. Once you've got one under your belt then you can start to target a time.
  • gleek1
    Options
    Of course, hills and flat are totally different types of workout - absolutely, you need to train on hills to run on hills, and hills are often more about leg strength vs cardio. If you are a newbie runner however, you are building both so when hit with any sort of hill that requires more exertion, it can be tough - especially on your first race when you may go too fast anyway!!

What I am getting at though is that though 10K is your least fave distance (same with me - I much prefer 5K or a half - I don't have that fine tuning of pace -) you still have an excellent base and having run for a long time, know in the back of your head that you can manage hills and when you are feeling terrible you can push through. Hills that I thought were hard 10 years ago I no no longer think are tough. That is more what I meant.

OP: One other thing - I don't take the sports drink during a 10K, but if you do, make sure you have had a go at running with the stuff in a practice race. I have learned the hardway during the half that my stomach cannot deal with lucozade sport - cue a very painful last 6 miles and a mad dash to the bathrooms in the St Enoch Centre on the way back to the train!
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    Thanks all.

I think probably my cardio fitness isn't the best. I find hills a struggle, not just on my legs though, I just can't breath. I've been doing a couple of hills though in my recent runs, but I know I need to put some more in.

So up to now I've been able to run 5k at parkrun in 34/35 minutes. So you can already tell I'm not any good at this. I'm doing this for myself, not to compete/compare with others. The 10k is a new step in my personal challenge, so really the time doesn't matter...well, easy to say, as I'd like a time comparable with my parkruns, so 1.10 to 1.15 sounds like the correct group for me. I've put myself in the group below in case I manage to improve, however it's a bit doubtful, but at least I'll be at the back of a better group instead of the front of a slower group....so it will keep me going.

Now, after doing 5k fairly regularly over the past few months at Parkrun, I've also been doing an odd 3k through the week. Once or twice if I'm lucky. The last couple of weeks though I've thrown in a long run early in the week. 8k 2 weeks ago, and 9.2k last week. After doing the 9.2k on Tuesday I didn't run until today at Parkrun. My knees were sore. Muscles pretty much ok. So my legs can take it except my knees, and my breathing (cardio?) continues to be a struggle.

Ok, so that's the last 2 weeks. I know I can do the distance. So I prove I can do it, but with 6 weeks to go I've not managed to improve my speed at all since early July. The distance might have hampered this. So I'm going to abandon distance for now (since I'm comfortable I can do the distance) and now work on the hills and speed. I have less than 2 weeks to go until a holiday of 2 weeks which won't really include any training due to the heat. Lots of walking though, and I'll try to find a treadmill. So 2 weeks to train now, and 2 weeks after. I'm going to mix up a bit as I'm bored too. So hopefully 2 sessions through each week. One hills but only 3k or so. The other I'll try intervals. I'm a bit scared of intervals as I worry they'll affect my pace which is quite steady. So I'm thinking jog/run intervals. I read somewhere 400m, I'm not sure my phone will do that....so maybe I should do it in minutes. Maybe around 3 minutes? Any advice appreciated. :)
  • gleek1
    edited 24 August 2014 at 10:48AM
    Options
    Lesley
    Don't do yourself down! You are doing great!!! I think you timing plans seem good - I always stay at the back of my waves as well - I am not going out to win anything., so I want to give myself the best chance of a good run!!

I would say that you have just about done the distance, which is great and will give you so much confidence that you will get round. Are you following a training plan?

I wouldn't add in hills AND intervals if you are relatively new to this. One of the major causes of injury is ramping up intensity and mileage too quickly. I was told actually that you should wait for about 3/4 months of regular running 3 or 4 times a week before adding in intervals or hills.

At this stage I would say that although interval training is great for cardio fitness, you want to feel more comfortable running, so run more. I reckon - though I am no expert - that at the moment you want to get miles under your legs. I would stick with a long run - slower than your race pace but between 8K and 12K ; a steady run say of around 30 to 40 mins at your 5K or race pace; a 20 minute fartlek run where are basically doing intervals, but not quite as strict as doing 400m so you jog for say 30 seconds then sprint as fast as you can between say 2 lamposts or trees then you jog again for a while then all out run for say 20s or between 3 trees or whatever you like. It is a way of spicing up your run.

I would say that for this race, don't avoid hills in your steady or long run, but don't specifically do hill repetitions. That can come later. You want a good fitness base first. You don't want to be so tired after your session that it takes 3 days to recover and you miss runs, so adjust your training if that is happening consistently.

I would say though that you want to be running 3 times a week for the 10K - even if it means that intensity or long run distance need to come down for the next couple of weeks. I would say that your midweek runs need to get longer than 3K to get any better especially as you run 5k regularly. Your knees are probably getting sore because you are running quite a long distance on the tuesday and then not doing anything till the Sat. Have you been to get your gait analysed and wear shoes that suit your running style?

Of course, if you have a plan you are following do that - trust the plan - it will get you there!!

I would also say not to say no to running in the heat on holiday. As long as you adjust your expectations and slow down as much as you need then you might find it makes you find your training easier when you get back! I run on holiday as much as I can - even in 33 degree heat - I am SLOWER than slow and you need to make sure you don't overdo it, but I love going for a run first thing in the morning on holiday - nothing better than feeling the warmth around your knees and needing little to no warmup!! Going out slowly for 20 mins a few times a week will help keep you ticking over!

Sorry for the long post - hope it is of some use, but just enjoy it - there is no pressure and you are a much better runner than you were before you started - and by just going out and doing something - by the vast majority of the population!!
  • vegasvisitor
    Options
    Thanks Gleek1. Don't apologise for the long post, it's all very much appreciated.

Bit of a setback this week. Last week I did my 9.2k on Tuesday then didn't run until Saturday. Saturday I did my usual 5k then ended up with blister on side of big toe, which then went sore round my toenail so a bit worrying. It's easing off now though, so I'll do a short piece tomorrow night, just 3k probably. I have 5k to do at Parkrun on Saturday.

The aim of my longer runs was to make sure I can do it, yes it has given me the confidence now, although I guess I'll have sore knees towards the end of the 10k and for a few days after but that's not the end of the world.

Next week I need to do some intervals or something. To be honest I'm bored by those longer runs so I need to mix it up a bit. Next week I intend to get out twice through the week, but I go away Friday so will depend how organised I am. I'm not sure if I'll be able to run on holiday, other than on a treadmill which I'm not keen on at the best of times. Better than nothing though. I'm going to Phoenix and Vegas, right now forecast for Phoenix when we are there is 44 degrees C, so that's likely out of the question. Also my husband isn't allowed to exercise in the heat (heart condition) so I'd be on my own if I do it. Not sure how safe. I do need to try to keep something up though, although time will also be limited. We will be doing tons of walking though in Vegas so at least that's something.

I'm not following any official training plan. I have seen the word Fartlek somewhere else, I'll look that up - thanks. I definitely need some sort of intervals or something to make it a bit more interesting. And something to help with hills, so I'm thinking a wee bit of hill work will help. I live in a hilly town so there's hills everywhere I look. I usually tend to avoid them but I think I need to work with them for a bit lol.

I got close to my PB at parkrun last week however since I've not jogged yet this week it's not looking very promising for this week. Finding Parkrun hard, so goodness knows how hard I'll find the 10k. I think I need to strike a balance between a time I'm happy with and not pushing too hard so that I enjoy it too. :)

I'll come back here and update over the coming weeks, so please feel free to chip in with any advice. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure