Hedge work - landlord's AND tenant's permission?

Options
shortcrust
shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
There's a block of three rented flats next to my end terrace house. Their gardens borders on to mine. The landlord has said he's happy for me to cut the very overgrown hedges on their side of the border. I can cut them from my side. I'm obviously going to check it's ok with the tenants and I can't imagine they'll mind, but would the tenants be within their rights to say no?

I'm really just asking out of interest. I think everyone will just be pleased I'm doing it.:)

(Has the max length of thread titles changed? I'm sure I used to be able to ramble on a bit more...)

Comments

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    I would say yes, you need the tenant!!!8217;s permission to enter their home.
  • shortcrust
    Options
    I would say yes, you need the tenant!!!8217;s permission to enter their home.

Yes I suppose that's what it effectively is. Let's hope they all say yes, then we can all have a bit more sun in our gardens!
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes. If the tenants want the hedges high, even the landlord would be pushed to be able to cut them.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have said no you don!!!8217;t need the tenants permission. The landlord has to give 24 hours notice for access but I don!!!8217;t see what grounds the tenants would have for refusing access and the work even if they didn!!!8217;t want it doing.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    I would have said no you don!!!8217;t need the tenants permission. The landlord has to give 24 hours notice for access but I don!!!8217;t see what grounds the tenants would have for refusing access and the work even if they didn!!!8217;t want it doing.

In the first instance, out of common decency and respect for the tenant's right to quiet enjoyment and privacy, why *shouldn't* OP get their permission? It's the tenant's home, not the landlord's.

OP may not need to seek the tenant's permission directly (though this may be the simplest route) but at the very least the landlord should - as you say - give the tenant's 24 hours notice including the details of who will be accessing the property and for what reason.

It would probably seem unreasonable for the tenants to refuse access (I don't think anyone has suggested that they would) so long as it is as a time that is convenient for them should they wish to be present (would you want a stranger accessing your home without you being there?).

OP certainly cannot enter the property without the tenant's permission - not even the landlord can do that except for in certain emergency situations.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Let's hope they all say yes, then we can all have a bit more sun in our gardens!
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Yes. If the tenants want the hedges high, even the landlord would be pushed to be able to cut them.

The high hedge could be giving them some privacy - they might prefer to keep it that way.
  • shortcrust
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Fortunately they're all happy for me to do it.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure