Hive thermostat

Options
Afternoon all,

I moved into a house a couple of months ago and it came with one of those little wireless Hive thermostats with a separate receivers wired to my boiler (the previous owner didn’t either use/leave a Hive hub to connect to my router).

Overall, it’s awful. The thermostat keeps losing connection with the boiler receiver - it comes up with endless messages for ‘No RF’ and ‘Rejoining’ when I want to adjust the temp - I need to take the batteries out of the thermostat to reset it otherwise the thermostat at is unresponsive.

I’m not a technophobe - I like the idea of Hive - e.g. so I can turn heating on using my phone away from home ( if I bought the hub ) to use via my mobile but on a basic level Hive is awful.

So what are my options? Does the thermostat (somehow?) need a firmware update? Do I need to get someone in to get rid of the Hive boiler receiver? And should I get another smart thermometer like Nest? I don’t really want anything to do with British Gas because all their products seems ridic expensive. Is it straightforward to get/install a new wireless thermostat from screwfix/wherever?

Thoughts welcome :)

Thanks

Z

Comments

• Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    The hive shouldn’t be fitted in stand alone, no hub, it causes connection issues and it’s not able to receive any updates. You either need to get a hub and online account from BG or replace the stat and receiver.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    I didn't know they could work without a hub. I bought a Hive set up last week, hub included, and it works perfectly. I'm really pleased with it.

The hub's only 50 quid on amazon. Get an amazon echo too and then you can turn your heating on with your voice from under a warm duvet!:D
  • Zither
    Zither Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks both.

If I got a hub from Amazon for £50 (which is 2/3rds) of a typical monthly bill! :) ) do you think this would solve the problem? Specifically, do I need a subscription on top of the cost of the hub to make the thermostat work properly? Literally no clue!

If it wouldn’t, what would I need to do to just get Nest or just a ‘standard’ thermostat installed?

Thanks,

Z
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    I can’t say if it will cure it but I’m sure it will help, I’ve only ever had issues with hives that don’t have hubs and there own help desk blamed not having a hub as the issue as it was unable to update.

Once you have a hub you won’t need any subscription, just a online account.
  • paulpud
    paulpud Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I installed my complete Hive system including hub a few weeks ago and I've yet to have any kind of connection issues with it. It's a reliable and versatile way of controlling heating and I now even control it using voice commands to Alexa.
  • gary83
    gary83 Posts: 905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 27 November 2017 at 12:10AM
    Options
    Early days for me with hive, installed last week a thermostat, receiver wired into the boiler, hive hub & a couple of bulbs, installation was very easy, only frustration was having to ring the call centre and getting stuck on hold for twenty minutes as needed a firmware update to correct the date & time.

I’m quite impressed with it so far, wouldn’t have bothered with the lights probably had they not been a free extra, seem a bit gimmicky & didn't really need them but the heating seems great so far
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use Hive and love the feature to turn off heating when I leave and on so that house is toasty when I return after holiday.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zither wrote: »
    I’m not a technophobe - I like the idea of Hive - e.g. so I can turn heating on using my phone away from home ( if I bought the hub ) to use via my mobile but on a basic level Hive is awful.

As it's missing a vital component, that is hardly surprising. It's like saying your TV is rubbish when you haven't got an aerial connected to it.

There are plenty of Hive hub units on Ebay, new and secondhand.

One of the sellers is probably the bloke you bought your house off.
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    One of the sellers is probably the bloke you bought your house off.

Seems odd that he would leave the thermostat though. I'd have thought he'd have taken the hub and thermostat or none of it. I'm guessing it was the moving company packed everything up that wasn't fixed to the wall.
  • malky39
    malky39 Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you sure you have the hive. There is a room thermostat that BG use that looks very similar to the hive, uses the same receiver at the boiler but does not require hub.
    If it is the hive if should work without a hub. The construction of the building and distance between the receiver and controls can affect the connection just like wifi. If thats the issue getting a hub could improve the connect if it is between the controls and receiver
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure