Custom Fitted Wardrobe - where to start..

Options
Hi all. I'm looking to get a fitted wardrobe for my new master bedroom. The bedroom is a slightly strange shape due to their being an ensuite in the room, see floor plan here:

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/137k/136577/58714238/136577_6661944_FLP_01_0000_max_600x600.jpg

I'm looking to get a fitted wardrobe in the alcove, which runs the length of the right hand side of the bedroom from the en-suite to the other wall with the window. (Not great at explaining these things!). I've done some (shady) maths and think that the wardrobe will measure approx 2m wide and about 0.78m deep.

Is it genuinely best to avoid the 'big guns' like sharps? Should I try a local carpenter instead and paint the wardrobe myself? How much am I looking at? I couldn't afford more than £1000 - am I being unrealistic? Thanks!

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    If a fitted wardrobe gets built will you still have room for double bed and decent circulation space? Plus where will the chest of drawers and dressing table go?

Having answered this you need to design what you intend for a fitted wardrobe, and obviously define its' purpose. Is it a fitted wardrobe, or shoe rack, or dressing table, or mirror, or...you get the idea.

Then define the finish, colour and what door detail (mirrors?)you want.

Have you been to Sharps and looked at the quality and checked out the prices? Likewise competitors.

The easy answer to all this is to buy free standing furniture and take it with you when you move, or sell it at that stage.

All food for thought. Now over to you.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How handy are you? Doors & track are readily available from the DIY stores. Fittings for the inside are available online.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • mrsmazza
    mrsmazza Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I got Sharps to come round and draw up a plan, quote was over 3k. I then got a carpenter in to make the wardrobe, which we painted. It was less than 1 k.
  • seabass90
    seabass90 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I want the wardrobe to have a rail on the left hand side with some draws at the bottom and shelves on the right. There is a storage cupboard in the room so with any luck I shouldn't need a chest of drawers... I've seen pictures of other 2 bed houses on the same street (all about 9 years old, built by Barratt) on rightmove who have done the same thing in their master bedrooms (exactly the same layout) with plenty of bed space so I'm pretty sure it's do able. I haven't discounted free standing just yet though! If I came across a wardrobe with similar dimensions I would consider it.
  • seabass90
    seabass90 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    How handy are you? Doors & track are readily available from the DIY stores. Fittings for the inside are available online.

Not at all unfortunately!
  • Kiran
    Kiran Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably not exactly what you are thinking off but another option could be to build the walls out of stud and board to make it look like an original wall. Something a bit like this https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stud+wall+wardrobe&biw=1600&bih=793&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiJlZOQu4TNAhWGAcAKHeO4CfAQsAQIGw#imgrc=9oEVr_41U9ZPzM%3A

Appreciate you may not want a walk in but the idea is the same. I've just fitted out a bedroom with a 3 door wardrobe built into a stud wall. Material cost all in was around £200 including glazed doors
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure