Text from "Opos Limited" - should I get in touch?

Options
124»

Comments

• Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah; first step I think is to talk to them about a payment plan.

There is a risk that a payment plan will be registered with one or more credit reference agencies as an arrangement to pay. (AP)

This could then impact on your ability to get credit. We often get messages on here where that has hapened to people.
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    There is a risk that a payment plan will be registered with one or more credit reference agencies as an arrangement to pay. (AP)

This could then impact on your ability to get credit. We often get messages on here where that has hapened to people.

That is true, and it's another example of a dysfunctional credit reporting industry badly in need of reform and meaningful regulation.

An AP is normally registered against someone who's defaulted on a debt or something similar and now can't pay in full. IT IS NOT aimed at people negotiating with the utility blaggers. But, since there's no QA regime operating at the CRAs, these arrangements get put alongside the more serious markers.
  • DazedAndConfused1980
    Options
    Just thought I'd come back to post, now that this is all done-and-dusted (in case anyone else finds it in a search).

Several weeks have passed in which I have contacted Spark multiple times for paper bills that didn't turn up, spoken to people on the phone, been sent an email which never arrived... Anyway, I kept notes about all the issues I'd had with them and decided last week to call up their dedicated complaints phone number.

The complaints department looked into my case and they identified three failings.

1) There was some confusion over which of my readings were day/night readings. As these were taken by their operator over the telephone, Spark were liable for this problem, and recalculated my bill with this corrected.

2) Some of the errors were over 12 months old. Apparently the industry code of practice prevents Spark from charging me for a clerical error over 12 months old (to prevent them coming for customers years after the fact).

3) They conceded that they had made a litany of customer service failings, and decided to give me a reduction on that basis.

The end result is that the original £600 or so has been reduced to under £300.

So I suppose the lesson learned here is that if you have grounds for a complaint, take the time to do it. It might save you a wedge.
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    Arleen wrote: »
    Actually That alone will not be enough to get CCJ set aside. Even if they did use a wrong address in error (and let's assume this as absolute truth for this example that is beyond a reasonable doubt) you will still need to have a valid defence as to why you do not owe the money, as clerical errors do not change the fact that you owe it.
    And if you do not owe it, then set aside will be granted, regardless of any delivery circumstances.
    "Beyond reasonable doubt" is criminal law.

Debt collector scum are civil law and that's based on balance of probabilities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure