Credit Card Shuffle Discussion area

Options

Comments

• BugsyBrowne
    BugsyBrowne Posts: 5,697 Forumite
    Options
    Deesse wrote: »
    I have an overdraft of £1600 with Natwest and a credit card with Barclaycard with a balance of £970. These are my only debts and i want to be able to clear this off in a year.

Even though i have a 'Good' credit score, i was rejected when i applied for a Virgin 0% balance transfer card, their reason being the amount of debt i have (!) - is £2570 too much to transfer or too little?? That confused me!

Anyway, i am now thinking that instead of applying for a new card again, i could ask Barclay to increase my credit limit on the existing card to £2600 and transfer the overdraft debt to this card and focus on paying both debts in one pot and one interest rate (the overdraft interest is soooo high its painful!)

Can anyone advice me on this? Would it be worth trying or would it even be possible??

Thanks!!:)

What credit do you have and what are the balances and credit limits?
    Salary?
  • Matty007
    Matty007 Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been offered balance transfer rate of 0% till August 2011 or 1.9% till December 2011.

Looking to transfer £10000.

The balanced would not of been paid off in August, however finding another deal with any 3% fees in August is not guaranteed.

What are your thoughts.

Regards
    Matty007
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Deesse wrote: »
    I have an overdraft of £1600 with Natwest
    Is it returned to credit each month when your salary hits the account? What's the average balance through the month?...because that's the figure you pay interest on.
    ...is £2570 too much to transfer
    Not too much to transfer as such, but maybe they thought your salary, and other circumstances, wouldn't support such a credit limit/debt.
    ...i could ask Barclay to increase my credit limit on the existing card to £2600 and transfer the overdraft debt to this card
    Barclaycard don't (ordinarily) allow 'super balance transfers'.
    (the overdraft interest is soooo high its painful!)
    Can you delay non-interest bearing bills?...ideally to the day before payday. That way you won't pay as much interest.
  • andrean
    andrean Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I've got an Amazon mastercard with two different rates being charged. the debts are as shown below.

Is it correct that any payments to the amazon card will pay off the 16.9 debt first - so does that make the tesco card the most expensive at the moment. (until there is only £980 left on amazon).

Tesco

Amazon

Amazon

Trying to work out my shuffle plan and it looks like my overdraft is more expensive at 19.3% in any case so will start throwing money at that first.

thank you.
  • davey654
    Options
    Cheeky, sneaky, or just smart thinking.

Before transfering debt from one card to another I paid for my car & home insurance on the "old" card saving over £50 in interest that I would have normally paid by paying for them monthly like I have done in the past.

Then transfered £2000 at 2.5% fee which worked out at £50.

Now I am paying the new card off adding on the monthly instalments that I would be paying to the insurance company.
  • Lex555
    Lex555 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if any one has mentioned this idea or come up with it yet on here, but since the rules on credit cards interest repayment order were changed, I have been using a new method to save interest that i worked out but never heard mentioned before.

It may sound strange but I save money despite the fact I am doing all my purchase spending on a typical APR rate credit card and NOT paying it off in full every month!

This works because I have a lot of cash debt at a higher rate then the purchase debt. All the spending I do on the credit card is money i am not spending on my debit card. Assuming i don't spend more than i would on my debit card beyond my disposable income, that frees up the amount i'm not spending on the debit card as a greater available balance. I then, use the amount i didn't spend on the debit card to pay off the amount i did spend on the credit card, which pays of the high interest, hence saving me money!

It just seems to simple, to me anyway, even though it may sound complicated! Once the cash debt is paid off however, it is no longer beneficial.
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lex555. You are paying interest on every credit card purchase at the purchase interest rate.

This is beneficial for you because that interest rate is lower than your "cash debt" (i.e. overdraft ?) rate. Is that right?

You are correct.

But you could save even more if you had another standard credit card and spent on that card only what you knew you could pay off in full next month. Then you would not pay any interest at all on those purchases. 0% is always better than something!
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
  • ee_walk
    Options
    Hi everyone

A bit of a newbie query from me - I'm trying to get my head round the mechanics of shuffling balances between cards. Here's my current profile:

Card Balance Limit APR Offer
    Egg £3000 £9000 18% 3.9% pa until Dec 11, 3% fee
    Virgin £3000 £10100 18% 0.9% pa until Jun 12, 3% fee
    Cahoot £3000 £7000 13% none

What's the best plan of attack? Is it to transfer the £3k off of Virgin to say Cahoot, then transfer all the balances back on to Virgin to take advantage of the 0.9%? What about timing? How long do I wait before transferring the balances back on to Virgin? Or is there a better way altogether?

Thanks in advance.
  • Lex555
    edited 22 June 2011 at 8:40AM
    Options
    thenudeone wrote: »
    Lex555. You are paying interest on every credit card purchase at the purchase interest rate.

This is beneficial for you because that interest rate is lower than your "cash debt" (i.e. overdraft ?) rate. Is that right?

You are correct.

But you could save even more if you had another standard credit card and spent on that card only what you knew you could pay off in full next month. Then you would not pay any interest at all on those purchases. 0% is always better than something!

Yes, that is true, but I cannot get any more credit as i have too many cards already, so this is the next best thing based on that presumption. An extra thing people can do if they can't get more credit at a lower rate.
  • Lex555
    edited 22 June 2011 at 8:44AM
    Options
    ee_walk wrote: »
    Hi everyone

A bit of a newbie query from me - I'm trying to get my head round the mechanics of shuffling balances between cards. Here's my current profile:

Card Balance Limit APR Offer
    Egg £3000 £9000 18% 3.9% pa until Dec 11, 3% fee
    Virgin £3000 £10100 18% 0.9% pa until Jun 12, 3% fee
    Cahoot £3000 £7000 13% none

What's the best plan of attack? Is it to transfer the £3k off of Virgin to say Cahoot, then transfer all the balances back on to Virgin to take advantage of the 0.9%? What about timing? How long do I wait before transferring the balances back on to Virgin? Or is there a better way altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Try and get another 0% card to transfer the debt to ideally if you can pay within a year or 18 months, but presuming you are unable to do that and presuming that the 18% is what you are paying now on your egg and virgin cards, and that the offer rates are what you will get I would say the following....

Yes you are right, transfer it off virgin, but to egg 1st i would say (unless the cahoot transfer rate is less than 3%). Wait for it to completely clear 1st though. At least a week i'd say before doing it back again to be safe. Then, you should simply get virgin to transfer all the debt from both your egg and cahoot cards to your virgin card. Assuming the special rate doesn't apply to a one off single transfer. It should all fit.

After the offer ends in June 2012, assuming you have the same cards at the same rates with the same balances by then, it's probably worth ringing both of your other card companies up and asking them for a low balance transfer offer and then just transfer as much as you can to the one with the best offer. Try to keep the overall % of credit available that you're using low, (i've heard below 1/3 of the total of all your credit available is best as a rough guide). Keeping this rate low will probably make you more likely to be accepted for a good offer with another company in my experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure