PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sweet Chilli Houmous??? Is it easy to make

Options

Comments

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love humus and would like to attempt my own, where do I get the Tahini from?

I noticed the other day tinned chickpeas were cheaper in the world food isle than the main isle.

Same question from me blender or food processor :o I am hoping blender not so much setting/washing up :D
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I,ve used my Magimix to make it before I go my 'super duper' processor:rotfl:

I don't think it age - I put the toothpaste from my shopping in the fridge yesterday :eek: we would have been brushing our teeth with tomato pur!e :o

I found Tahini in the world foods bit BTW.

I have got to make some now - chickpeas were 33p in Aldi and Lemons and garlic in super 6 so would be rude not too :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive used the Delia Smith recipe in the past. Stopped making it as no way could I get through the resulting quantity on my own. But a friend tells me that It freezes well, so I'm about to start again.
  • madnotstupid
    madnotstupid Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Tahini can be replaced with peanut butter, although the flavour isn't quite the same
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can also leave-out the Tahini altogether and just add a little of the chickpea liquid instead - approx 1tbsp if you wish. Some people don't like the taste/final texture much with Tahini and if you are using a fairly strong flavour like sweet chilli, you may not need it.

Personally the recipe I use is very similar to Islandmaid's - except if I do use Tahini, its more like 1-2 desert spoons but often not at all, depends if I have Tahini in or what I'm flavouring it with.

A liquidiser id fine for mixing it-up, yes. Keeps about four-five days in the fridge :)
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I have a Kenwood food mixer, and a blender which do you think would be the best to make this in ? sorry if the question sounds a bit daft , put it down to my age :):):) I know you have a super douper processor Islandmaid
    JackieO xx

Have tried in a blender, and doesn't work as well.
    Haven't made sweet chilli houmous, but have made plain, moroccan and broad bean and mint that they sell in Tescos.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • The_all_new_me_2
    Options
    Id use the food processor as you'll lose loads of it in the blender.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

if you don't mind it a bit coarser just mash the chickpeas with a fork, add other ingredients, and mix, saves waste and cleaning.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi,

if you don't mind it a bit coarser just mash the chickpeas with a fork, add other ingredients, and mix, saves waste and cleaning.

:j:beer::T:T:T:beer::j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 May 2017 at 9:32AM
    Options
    Hi,

I actually did this to break it all down a bit,(used a potato masher) then chucked the whole lot into my blender as I haven't go a processor and it came out quite well if a little courser than the creamy stuff from the supermarket ,but as I was spreading it on crackers I wasn't bothered very tasty and really enjoyed it Thanks for a the recipes chums

JackieO xx
    P.S. added it to my online cook book Islandmaid Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family