Callcredit

Options
I have obtained two credit reports today for the first time in my life. One from Experian and one from Equifax. I started to apply for my report from Callcredit but they are trying to charge me £12. I understood the statutory report should only cost £2, like I was charged by the other two. They would appear to be either trying it on or guiding me past their statutory report route online and getting me to be a full member. I stopped the application when I saw the fee. Any feedback appreciated on this please. :(

Comments

• happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Use Noddle. It checks call credit for free.
    :beer:
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    You can either obtain your statutory report for £2 by the post, or use noddle (trading name of callcredit) for free access.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • unphased
    Options
    Thanks both. Should have used my noddle. :rotfl:
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Seem to be able to get to the £2 report just fine here?

DgowIIv.png

g5F4FEC.png

BG3aAB2.png
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • unphased
    Options
    Thank you Fermi. I chose Callcredit check off my web browser and was taken to a different web page to that you have shown. callcreditcheck.com as opposed to callcredit.co.uk. I think they are the same company, or at least show the same logo, but it just goes to show how you can get ripped off if you are not savvy enough to suspect something is not as it should be. Thank you.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Well, yes. If you go to callcreditcheck then you will only be offered the expensive option, as that is what that site is all about.

Personal opinion, but that site name could as in this case make people think that is the main callcredit site, and it should I think at least have a link to the statutory report on the main site so that people who land there by accident can make an informed decision.

Saying that, the main callcredit.co.uk does appear above the callcreditcheck.com site in my Google results. Not that that means anything much.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • unphased
    Options
    I have challenged them on that point, Fermi. Why a company needs two websites, one charging more for the same information. I will wait and see what they say.
  • rizla_king
    Options
    Think a complaint to the ICO and OFT is in order, as this could well be an unfair practice.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • unphased
    Options
    The response I got from Callcredit was that they feel they advertise the site sufficiently to give consumer choice. I disagree but they refuse to change anything. It is obviously an unfair practice to have Noddle, Callcredit and Callcreditcheck providing what amounts to the same service, albeit they claim Callcredit check is an enhanced service that some customers want. Quite how they judge whether a customer really wants it, given the cheaper alternatives, or has been conned in to it I don't know.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    rizla_king wrote: »
    Think a complaint to the ICO and OFT is in order, as this could well be an unfair practice.
    unphased wrote: »
    The response I got from Callcredit was that they feel they advertise the site sufficiently to give consumer choice. I disagree but they refuse to change anything. It is obviously an unfair practice to have Noddle, Callcredit and Callcreditcheck providing what amounts to the same service, albeit they claim Callcredit check is an enhanced service that some customers want. Quite how they judge whether a customer really wants it, given the cheaper alternatives, or has been conned in to it I don't know.

Complain to the authorities then. I will. :)
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family