Pay of the Mortgage or Re-invest?

Options
Hi guys, first post and all that!

Right, I've been made redundant recently and I've had a reasonably decent pay out. With my savings I've managed to accumulate about 35K.

I'm currently living with my girlfriend and have rented out my house. It's been valued at 160k and I owe 50k on the mortgage. I'm paying about 380 a month on the mortgage and renting it for 650. My question is this. Should I use my savings to pay down the mortgage or would I be better off keeping the money and trying to re-invest it elsewhere? What else is out there that will provide good returns?

Before I was made redundant I was going to by another house, but I guess without a job this isn't a good idea so the cash is currently just sat in a high interest account. If I did pay down the mortgage would the money be easily accessible again through mewing, if I decided I needed a deposit again?

:confused:

Comments

• pjala
    pjala Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the interest rate you are paying on your mortgage?
    It is a simple calculation - if you are paying, let's say, 5% interest on your mortgage, then if the most you could get (with the ICIC bank) is 5.1%, then after tax (at 22%) you would get a return of 4%, but be paying out your mortgage at 5%. Therefore not worth it I guess.

So to gain you would have to get net of tax a gain of over 5%, a return of over 6.25%. The only way you get that is on a regular save account, which is generally a max of £250 a month - again a low net gain on your 35K.

You could put it in an ISA, but the max allowance is only about a 6th of your 35K, and cash ISA's are only getting a return of around 5% so neutral but for a low amount...

The other alternative is to put it in the stock market, but that could go DOWN, so highly risky.

So why not pay off the 35K, and use the monthly saving you make of apx £250 to put in a monthly saver account of 10%. You save the interest payed on your mortgage, and you save your money at the best rate on the market.

(I'm not a Financial advisor, so don't listen to me about money - I just like everyone else here, look for my best options)
    Well done on your 35K!
  • moneysavingobsessive
    Options
    You are liable to income tax on the rent received from your house, but you can offset mortgage interest (not capital repayment) against this. So, for arguments sake, imagine £150 of your £380 a month repayment is interest, you are liable to tax on £500 (£650-150) less the usual bands etc if you are not working and any maintenance costs for the house. It may therefore be sensible to keep the mortgage high in order to offset some tax liabilities and invest your money elsewhere.
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are loads of alternatives between high risk stock market investments and low risk savings accounts, and an IFA will be able to tell you about some of these. There seems to be a commonly held notion that you only have a choice between savings or stock market investments, but this is really not true.

Mortgage rates are so low now they can be easily be beaten by pretty low risk investments (or more sensibly a spread of investments), and although it won't go down well on this board to say this, the main reason for paying a mortgage off is emotional.

Indeed there are positive disadvantages in sinking money into property where it can't be easily accessed in need, since the only way of getting the money out is to sell or remortgage - the latter being difficult at times of need by definition when mortgage applications are likely to be difficult.
  • mdeebee
    mdeebee Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    Forgive me for this everyone.

I think you are a bit smug and should that you should use the "K" things to make you happy,

Do you mean "thousands"?
  • h4nym
    h4nym Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

I know I'm picking up on this thread fairly late, but I think the tax relief piece has not really been discussed fully... you get full tax relief on the mortgage interest on your rented property. At the highest rate you pay.

You get fully taxed on interest you earn. At up to 40%.

As someone who's just remortgaged two investment properties to take 150,000 (nearly hit me 'K' then!) off the 246,500 mortgage on our home, I'm more than happy to keep playing the tax game to my advantage. Equally, a 100,000 mortgage suddenly brings it into the realm of "payable off", whereas nearly 250,000 is not really doable from income.

Bummer is Loan to Value... there's actually enough equity in the investment properties to pay off the whole of our home's mortgage. But I can't borrow 100% on buy to let. Silly really - they'll happily lend 100% to a first time buyer with no record, but a spotless record paying mortgages for 15 years AND the additional income with which to pay it, but nah! Still - the mortgage game has always been 20 years behind the innovation curve...here's waiting!

All the best

H
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    This isnt advice one way or another, i dont understand the tax situation im afraid, but i do know with my mortgage (with the Northern Rock, rate 4.99% fixed for 5 years) i can make unlimited overpayments, and as long as the mortgage is still going, i can access those over payments at any time. If you had this type of mortgage, you could pay in your 35K, meaning you would be paying less interest, and if you found you need to borrow some, or all of it back, you are able to with no fuss!!!! HTH.
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mdeebee wrote:
    Forgive me for this everyone.

I think you are a bit smug and should that you should use the "K" things to make you happy,

Do you mean "thousands"?

'K' is a widely accepted abbreviation for 'thousands', and in fact is scientific notation (eg 56Kb for internet connection speed). I'm not entirely sure how use of it can be seen as 'smug' - it's not exactly difficult to work out the meaning in this context, and a quick Google search would have explained it to you. As you now know it, presumably you're happy for us to use it? I personally wouldn't be happy typing 100,000, 200,000, 300,000 etc over and over again (or even worse, 100 thousand, 200 thousand); I've got better things to do with my time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure