Water pipe question

Options
Hi,

We bought our house 2 years ago and we had noticed that our water pipe comes up from the floor behind our front door and then along the wall to under our stairs and into the kitchen. Firstly this is not ideal where it is and secondly it builds up so much condensation no its cold weather, the floors get wet and this is causing damp i think.
Is this something that the water company can do because this is not ideal where it is or will i have to pay to get someone in to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The water company will charge you for moving the route of a water pipe, unless your "not ideal" is actually a threat to life and limb. Assuming "causing damp" is condensation rather than a leak, perhaps you could insulate the pipe - I suspect there is even a paint for that if you look hard enough.

You could move the pipe yourself, or pay a contractor, if the pipe is your responsibility. The pipe is all yours beyond the stop tap ostensibly in the public path but especially for older properties, flats etc, this can get slightly blurred. Some water companies will "help you look after" the length of your supply pipe (for example) across your front garden but not that running around your house.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the water pipe is on your property, it's your pipe. Either fix it yourself, or pay someone to do it.

A quick, but not pretty, fix would be pipe lagging.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure