house alarm systems

Options
I'm looking to fit an alarm for my new house.
Typical quotes from professionals are:
1 - £450 install - wireless system with annual maintenance of £80 with control room monitoring inc battery changes. (phone linked via app)

2. £500 with 5 wireless detectors about £500. This chap did not recommend paying for control room monitoring which he charges £150 pa.

Or self install a Yale wireless system for around £200-£300 or another brand.

welcome any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not a fan of wireless detectors myself, which seem to need more attention/maintenance than the hardwired sort. Obviously the hassle of wiring may be the determining factor.

For any system, I always demand the "engineer's code" otherwise you get locked in to one supplier. A full reset including reset of the engineer's code is time consuming.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chiny wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of wireless detectors myself, which seem to need more attention/maintenance than the hardwired sort. Obviously the hassle of wiring may be the determining factor.

For any system, I always demand the "engineer's code" otherwise you get locked in to one supplier. A full reset including reset of the engineer's code is time consuming.

yeah hassle of wiring is the reason why a wireless appeals, as house is laminate flooring so not easy cable under floors.

I was interested in a Yale or similar type kit, they seem almost similar to what i have been quoted from security companies. More to act as deterrent and information alert.

Anyone tried such kits?
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Nest home alarm and outdoor IQ camera's to come out in the next few months,

I have the indoor Nest cam, thermostat and smoke detectors. They are all really easy to install and the app is great. The camera's are wireless but mains powered.

I had a Yale alarm a few years ago, I probably had the cheapest model, but i hated it.

We lived in a town house at the time and the alarm was up on the wall on the front. When ever we turned the alarm on or off it beeped really loudly outside,.. like an old fashioned car alarm. It was really annoying, I couldn't figure out how to turn it off and I'm sure i used to wake up all my neighbors when i came home late.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Visonic Powermax Complete, completely wireless. Had one for 2-3 years and not a single flase alarm, me and a friend from work fitted it on a weekend (1 long day)

Highly recommended
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Options
    What are your DIY skills like - you could install a basic wired one yourself.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Options
    Jonesya wrote: »
    What are your DIY skills like - you could install a basic wired one yourself.

I okay with basic DIY, would avoid going up ladders though. Problem is concealing cables for a wired kit, thus why i was considering a wireless kit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure