We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Gardening newbie - planting out

Options
Tygermoth
Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hello all!

I have a south facing but partly shaded corner garden so planted some seeds in trays for foxgloves, lupins, hollyhocks. Expecting not to succeed i did quite a few....

I thought that they would be ready at spring time but they have grown so well they are all rather large. (think a very good size salad leaf size on all)

Can i plant them out now? if they keep growing in the pots at this rate the house will be over run by spring......

think: Feed me seymore, feed me now
Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, get them out now, ideal time, the soil is still warm, dew & mist in mornings so should save watering problems

You will need to keep any Autumn leaves from covering them, and slugs may be a problem so keep an eye open. I would use slug pellets initially until they have grown a bit more, but each to their own and you may not want to. Foxgloves & lupins seem extra tasty IME

They will of course die back and sleep over winter but will be glad of the head start come spring
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, as above, they'll do fine. I like to remove foxglove flowers before they go to seed as they don't half spread. It may be worth keeping that in mind next year.
  • Tygermoth
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

The corner is very deep, dry and shaded except from first thing and late evening so i am hoping the foxgloves spread and fill the space. Heres hoping :)
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

The corner is very deep, dry and shaded except from first thing and late evening so i am hoping the foxgloves spread and fill the space. Heres hoping :)

They will. On Friday I replanted about 6 small foxglove plants. The only time I sowed foxgloves was when the kids were at school, over 30 years ago. Very MSE plants
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Mrs_Huggett
    Options
    Can I ask you to please not use slug pellets? They do terrible harm to Hedgehogs and birds when they ingest poisoned slugs. I'm lucky in that my Hubby gives me offcuts of copper tubing and I make little borders with them around any plants that are tender. It seems to work as they get a slight electric shock from the metal when they try to cross it apparently.
  • Tygermoth
    Options
    I have a lovely park next to me with a family of hedgehogs - so i don't use slug pellets :)

Glad to report all the ones planted out survived and are already thriving
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure