Was this a malicious pop-up?

Options
Pyxis
Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
Something weird happened yesterday evening, which I'm a bit worried about.

I have an iPad Air 2 with the latest version, 10.2.1
I don't have a desktop or laptop or iPhone.

Because I've only ever had Apple computers, I have never, to my knowledge, been confronted with any malicious software.

Yesterday evening, I was surfing through various clothing sites I'd not visited before.
Suddenly there was a pop-up telling me that my iPad had been subjected to a malicious virus attack and that my battery had been severely damaged. I was in danger of losing all my contacts and stuff. I should download an app by clicking on something. On no account should I close the window. To do so would cause severe damage. (There was a 'close'button). It said 'exit this at your peril' .

It was rather frightening, but I reckoned that I should just exit it sharpish, so I didn't click on anything .....didn't click the close button. I just swiped it away.
It popped back a couple of times, and I swiped it away each time.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a screen shot.

Then it reappeared as a slightly different version of the same thing. So I got rid of it and shut down the iPad.

(I have another older iPad, and that was ok, no pop-up.)

This morning, I restarted the iPad and it seems to be ok. My data seems to all be there.

Should I be worried that I've been hacked?
(I just lurve spiders!)
INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
I love :eek:

Comments

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, no, this is just a specially crafted overlay that is loaded into your browser by a dodgy header on a page or by a shady advert on a page.
    Annoying and worrying as it can be it is totally benign

If you ever get stuck on it, go to settings, safari and clear cache and that will shift it.

Again, don't worry, you haven't been hacked :)
  • Pyxis
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Hi, no, this is just a specially crafted overlay that is loaded into your browser by a dodgy header on a page or by a shady advert on a page.
    Annoying and worrying as it can be it is totally benign

If you ever get stuck on it, go to settings, safari and clear cache and that will shift it.

Again, don't worry, you haven't been hacked :)

Oh phew! Thank you!

What was the point of it, though?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Try to get you to install the app that they have vested interest in.
    That's all

Gobsh1tes !!
  • Pyxis
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Try to get you to install the app that they have vested interest in.
    That's all

Gobsh1tes !!

Thank you. You've been very helpful. :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Which browser were you using? I had a similar problem with Chrome, and the simplest solution was just to uninstall it, then reinstall.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Pyxis
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Which browser were you using? I had a similar problem with Chrome, and the simplest solution was just to uninstall it, then reinstall.

Safari.

It did seem to go after I kept swiping it and turned off the iPad.
    At least, it hasn't been back. Yet!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 18 March 2017 at 11:46AM
    Options
    Described here FYI. And the solution (same as Andy's)
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8071

The obvious question: is there any anti-virus/malware/adware/ransomware product that can spot this sort of thing? On Windows, Kaspersky, Bitdefender may be the answer. Don't know about Apple.
    EDIT: May be worth a shot on Apple :- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trend-micro-mobile-security/id630442428?mt=8
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Pyxis
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Described here FYI. And the solution (same as Andy's)
    https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8071

Thank you, Grumpycrab. :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• EdwardB
    EdwardB Posts: 462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It is the same concept as all the scammers, tell you that something you fear has happened so click link and warn if you don't then things you care about will be harmed.

Might be an HMRC email, one that appears to be from a bank (they try different banks till they hit on the one that you actually bank with.

On the telephone they call you, tell you they are from "Microsoft Support" (oxymoronic) and that you have been hacked but they can fix it, they ask for remote access and then proceed to put viruses on your computer. They then lace your computer with trials for which they get a commission on.

Of course as an Apple user you would ignore but if you happened to get one saying it was your iPad you might believe them.

One thing spammers are doing is adding things to your Iphone/Ipad calendar as a new kind of spam.

You can never know what the payload is of a spam message, a link may take you anywhere, the fact that there have not been many cases of malware on Apple does not mean there will not be. It is a numbers game, right now there are so many more PC's and much better conversion on Windows platform.

Mobile is where they are focused right now.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue. :cool::)
  • Pyxis
    Options
    EdwardB wrote: »
    It is the same concept as all the scammers, tell you that something you fear has happened so click link and warn if you don't then things you care about will be harmed.

Might be an HMRC email, one that appears to be from a bank (they try different banks till they hit on the one that you actually bank with.

On the telephone they call you, tell you they are from "Microsoft Support" (oxymoronic) and that you have been hacked but they can fix it, they ask for remote access and then proceed to put viruses on your computer. They then lace your computer with trials for which they get a commission on.

Of course as an Apple user you would ignore but if you happened to get one saying it was your iPad you might believe them.

One thing spammers are doing is adding things to your Iphone/Ipad calendar as a new kind of spam.

You can never know what the payload is of a spam message, a link may take you anywhere, the fact that there have not been many cases of malware on Apple does not mean there will not be. It is a numbers game, right now there are so many more PC's and much better conversion on Windows platform.

Mobile is where they are focused right now.

Thank you.

It looks like it's best to delete everything and then check with Apple if in any doubt.

Would taking a screen shot compromise me?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport