How much mess does replacing windows make?

Options
I've got a couple of quite rotten sash windows that are going to need replacing with double glazing in the near future, and I'm wondering how disruptive or messy the process will be?
The rooms the windows are in need redecorating anyway and new carpets, which I was planning to do in the next few months. But if replacing the windows is likely to cause a huge amount of mess then I would rather hold off on doing anything until they're all sorted.
A few people have told me that it's a relatively easy job and that they just 'pop out and back in again' but It can't be completely mess free, surely?

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got a couple of quite rotten sash windows that are going to need replacing with double glazing in the near future, and I'm wondering how disruptive or messy the process will be?
    The rooms the windows are in need redecorating anyway and new carpets, which I was planning to do in the next few months. But if replacing the windows is likely to cause a huge amount of mess then I would rather hold off on doing anything until they're all sorted.
    A few people have told me that it's a relatively easy job and that they just 'pop out and back in again' but It can't be completely mess free, surely?
    It need not be very messy.

However, I would leave the decorating until after the windows have been replaced.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    A simple "one out, one in" shouldn't cause much mess at all providing that the window company has all of the measurements correct.
    However, there is a possibility that when the old windows are taken out that some of the surrounding plaster and brickwork falls out and if this is the case, a bit more work will need doing.

Have the installers done a check to ensure that there is an adequate lintel in place as it was quite often the case that when wooden windows were installed, they were strong enough to take a structural load without a lintel being fitted, something that isn't the case with uPVC or aluminium frames.
    If a lintel does need to be fitted, there will be quite a bit of mess due to the work required.
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    are these sliding sash windows (box sash)because if so these do cause quite a lot of dust which can stay in the air for weeks so not quite what the other two posters have put
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wasn't present when I had mine done, I left my dad "in charge" ... it's very messy in that they'll have no respect for the carpet down - and they'll be in and out multiple times through the day fiddling with it and traipsing in/out.

Redecorate if it's only paint - if it's wallpaper do it after, or leave that wall. For carpets, do that after the windows are finished ....

There's potentially a lot of dust created too ... lots ... which will all get trodden into the carpet.

I had 6' high 3 windows replaced, Victorian sashes ... and the new windows needed a lot of coaxing/fitting, with random bits of wood and expanding foam used (to be honest I thought they bodged it, but I wasn't there to shout out at the time and question their methods).
  • Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not much in my experience.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Non at all as they should clear up after themselves.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have the installers done a check to ensure that there is an adequate lintel in place as it was quite often the case that when wooden windows were installed, they were strong enough to take a structural load without a lintel being fitted, something that isn't the case with uPVC or aluminium frames.
    If a lintel does need to be fitted, there will be quite a bit of mess due to the work required.

Quite a few old properties had a wooden lintel supporting the brickwork. As long as this is left well alone, there shouldn't be too much trouble or mess.

A cautionary tail when the wooden lintel is chopped out - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5320553
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure