Options
2»

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lambyr wrote: »
    I remember the days (ugh, already sound old) where you'd buy a game... maybe it'd cost £25 to £30 but that was that. Everything included - maybe it'd need a patch or two to fix minor bugs, but back in those days, a lot of developers would release shareware versions of games with so much of the content available for free prior to release (Doom and Quake, for example, let players have the first episode of each game) and then the devs would hear through the grapevine about issues so they could fix them prior to full release.

Ya wee whipper-snapper! I remember the days where you'd buy a game for £9.99 and that was it. If it had bugs, you'd just have to consider them part of the game, cos there was no way they'd be patched!

And if you couldn't afford a tenner for the latest game, you could wait a year or two and get it for £2.99 on cassette. :-)
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well here's a tip for you. Record all of your favorite games onto a C90 cassette (you know, back ups of your purchased originals) But make sure that you record your own voice stating which game it is before the load starts. Those of us with the latest tech know this saves loads of time.
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lambyr wrote: »
    Yep.

I remember the days (ugh, already sound old) where you'd buy a game... maybe it'd cost £25 to £30 but that was that. Everything included - maybe it'd need a patch or two to fix minor bugs, but back in those days, a lot of developers would release shareware versions of games with so much of the content available for free prior to release (Doom and Quake, for example, let players have the first episode of each game) and then the devs would hear through the grapevine about issues so they could fix them prior to full release.

And then, maybe, a few months later there'd be an expansion pack or two, for £15 or so, with a sizeable amount of extra content.

Happy days.

Now it's three versions of the base game, one for £50, one for £70 and one for £85... EA completely took the mick recently with Mass Effect: Andromeda releasing some sort of £250 super-deluxe version with a remote control Nomad vehicle BUT NOT a copy of the actual game! :rotfl:

Then there's the micro transactions, because you have to get your advantages in multiplayer (pay-to-win, yay!), so a tenner here, tenner there... suddenly, you've blown three times the cost of the base game in a week, knowing that they'll shut those multiplayer servers down in a couple of years anyway.

And of course, DLC! At this point, it costs the same as an expansion pack of old, but contains one-tenth of the content.

I get games are expensive, and additional revenue streams are often required to pay a dev team for ongoing support for a title, but some devs really do go overboard especially on the games designed for younger people and kids... you get cosmetic items like coats for the cost of a real coat.

Ugh... rant over.

Its basically added copyright protection you cant copy DLC, more and more games are "free" but you need to buy stuff in game to actually play
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ouch.

Note for future, you can buy Roblox gift cards in Currys, easy to load onto the game and no chance of overspending. £10 at a time which as you have discovered does not last long!

You can also buy £ gift cards online where the code is emailed to you/you can download the code immediately - you can also sometimes get these slightly cheaper than the face value (ie can currently get £50 for £47, £5 for £4.80 etc).

I wouldn't advise ever storing payment details on xbox - its one password to your computer, email, xbox etc. For decades they tell us to have a different password for each account and then ms pull that crap. :mad:
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Options
    Wow someone who actually accepts responsibility and doesn't seek to blame everything and everyone else. Really glad you got a refund, couldnt happen to a nicer person. Im in love with the OP now.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Exemplar wrote: »
    Well here's a tip for you. Record all of your favorite games onto a C90 cassette (you know, back ups of your purchased originals) But make sure that you record your own voice stating which game it is before the load starts. Those of us with the latest tech know this saves loads of time.

I plan to follow this excellent advice once I get my ZX81 from WH Smith, and can play 3D Monster Maze
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pffffft. You'll neek the 16KB expansion pack for that (not that you would ever fill that)!
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    You've got to be careful with the ZX81 RAM expansion pack though - touch the keyboard too harshly and it'll wobble & crash whatever you're playing.
  • vyle
    vyle Posts: 2,379 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exemplar wrote: »
    Good news. Just had a call from Microsoft. Apparently as I was honest and reasonable with them (i.e. not blaming anyone else) I got a full refund.

Lesson learnt!

Thanks for the positive replies.

Awesome, now all you need to do is set up your kids as having child accounts with no payment privileges. That is a feature that exists for a reason.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    You've got to be careful with the ZX81 RAM expansion pack though - touch the keyboard too harshly and it'll wobble & crash whatever you're playing.
    Can I get a refund on my zx80?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport