PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Monday 21st May 2017

Options
13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    A wonderfully effective deterrent is to position a black bin liner outside each room in the house and every day before you go to bed take anything that isn't put away or cleaned or dealt with and put it in the sack every day for a week. It doesn't matter what 'it' is, if it's not put away etc. in the sack it goes. Issue the warning on day one that if it hasn't been sorted out by the end of the week it goes in the bin, they'll smile even laugh at the thought that you would do such a thing. Every day, add to the sack and give them the same warning. By day 5 they'll start to have a few doubts, by day 6 they'll be back to thinking Mum wouldn't DO that, would she? by day 7 (you'll only have to do it once) if they haven't actually heeded your warnings actually put the sacks IN THE BIN!!! the day before it's collected and tell them what you've done and that next time you'll wait until they've gone out on BIN DAY and the sacks will go in the bin as soon as they are through the door on the way to work. It's very effective.....ask me how I know??? cures them though! xxx.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Believe me Lyn, that even works with 4 year-olds. Every evening the Toy-Snatcher arrives with his bin bag and collects up all the toys left on the floor. I wouldnt say that the toys are put away tidily but at least they are not left on the floor.

Tru: You poor love. Been there. Done that. Got the (rather grubby) Tshirt.
    One of the advantages of getting old, and there aren't that many so we have to make the most of them, is that hopefully most of the mess makers have left home. Personally I am looking forward to moving into my bungalow ON MY OWN, where I can order things to MY liking, do what I want to do when I want to do it, buy things to eat and find them still in the fridge when I want them, tidy the kitchen and find it just as I left it and let unexpected visitors into the house without having to stuff things under cushions on my way to answer the doorbell.

Is that selfish? Undoubtedly.

Am I bovvered? Look at the face.

All this has been a long time coming. Hopefully Tru you won't have to wait until you are 78, but just fix your mind on the paradise that awaits you.

Nelski: I hope you can feel the love and support that surrounds you.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tru, I thought my lot were a pain, that's awful, I'd let their washing fester
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    Tru I concur with everything Karcher says - and I'd also be inclined to knock some heads together for good measure! :D

I feel your pain - mine's been driving me to utter distraction. I have a device that I have on at night, which gives out a choice of soothing sounds to mask tinnitus (my favourite is the sound of a babbling brook) but I have yet to find something to cope with the daytime. :(

On a better note, Cassie appears to be recovered from her upset tummy; she's brighter in herself today, and asked for her breakfast, which she enjoyed, and she's had a lovely walk in the park. A ball game in the garden is on the agenda in a little while. :o

Thanks I do need to get something I think though no water noises as that is what mine sounds like in between the thumping :cool:
    A wonderfully effective deterrent is to position a black bin liner outside each room in the house and every day before you go to bed take anything that isn't put away or cleaned or dealt with and put it in the sack every day for a week. It doesn't matter what 'it' is, if it's not put away etc. in the sack it goes. Issue the warning on day one that if it hasn't been sorted out by the end of the week it goes in the bin, they'll smile even laugh at the thought that you would do such a thing. Every day, add to the sack and give them the same warning. By day 5 they'll start to have a few doubts, by day 6 they'll be back to thinking Mum wouldn't DO that, would she? by day 7 (you'll only have to do it once) if they haven't actually heeded your warnings actually put the sacks IN THE BIN!!! the day before it's collected and tell them what you've done and that next time you'll wait until they've gone out on BIN DAY and the sacks will go in the bin as soon as they are through the door on the way to work. It's very effective.....ask me how I know??? cures them though! xxx.

My friend's mother did that when her & sister were teenagers the only things spared were school clothes and shows and guide uniforms. They assumed she had hidden it somewhere so it would reappear when "they had learned their lesson"but no it had gone to the coup. They were both devastated but interestingly both have very tidy houses.;) Mum is still alive and they laugh about it now - she just saw red and acted......
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all, sorry for the late post but have been very busy today.
    Had to go to a caravan shop this morning to get a new catch for the bathroom cabinet as it decided that it wouldn't stay shut :(.
    Called back to Dads and took him to get a new calor gas bottle as he needs DH to carry it from the car into the house. Came home and had a quick lunch and brought in the last of the mountain of washing. Then we decided to repack our awning as it was put away very hastily because of the threat of rain last week. After a coffee,while I mowed the front and back lawns, DH stripped down the shredder and sharpened the blades ready for use tomorrow. After putting out the recycling, a shower was in order and then a quick meal before the DW went on. Phew ! I'm now putting my feet up no matter what :p.
    Unfortunately we have promised to go back to Dads tomorrow to do his garden, hence sorting out our shredder, so another busy day. ( on the plus side it gives me an excuse not to tackle the ironing mountain :eek: )
    Hope everyone has had a good day and my thoughts are with Nelski and family.

nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Gers we bought bavette at W'rose on Saturday - it used to be C@fe Rouge's steak frites steak, but they stopped doing it :( but now we gave a source, albeit a 40m round trip away :)

Tru strike all you like, I will come out in solidarity :D

Monna my mum used to threaten that back in the late 1970's...it also used to be a useful threat for my boys in the 90's!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I cut the plug off my Sons stereo once. Could have blown myself up but it would have been worth it.....Anyone remember The Shamen? My Son played Boss Drum too loud one too many times.

Mean Mummy.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport