Halifax 'sending me around the houses' to close my account down?

Options
2»

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,624 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mr_Goodkat wrote: »
    I wonder if it is technically possible to switch a packaged bank account to either another packaged account or like in this case a packaged bank account to a non packaged bank account?

You can switch it anywhere you want in my experience
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Was the account a URCA? or was it a basic bank account? The former can not be switched.

I beg to differ.
    You may not receive an incentive for switching to a basic, but you can switch a basic account to either another basic account elsewhere or to a full facility account if both banks are on the switching service.

The OP should have found out via Barclays why it was rejected, then if the rejection was from Halifax to contact them and find out why.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    I beg to differ.
    You may not receive an incentive for switching to a basic, but you can switch a basic account to either another basic account elsewhere or to a full facility account if both banks are on the switching service.
    I think Westie was saying the URCA could not be switched away (although I'm not sure why?), not that a basic account could not be switched away from Halifax.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think Westie was saying the URCA could not be switched away (although I'm not sure why?), not that a basic account could not be switched away from Halifax.

Thats correct, I was trying to explain that the URCA pays fees pro rata and there was no mention of an OD in the OP, so if you are overdrawn you would need to put the account in credit before closing or switching,

From what I can see the URCA was downgraded to the reward account so the fees have been paid on downgrade.

I cant understand why the account couldn't be closed, if the switch is no longer required unless there was an overdraft present, you can cancel/close accounts in branch but not over the phone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Thats correct, I was trying to explain that the URCA pays fees pro rata and there was no mention of an OD in the OP, so if you are overdrawn you would need to put the account in credit before closing or switching,

From what I can see the URCA was downgraded to the reward account so the fees have been paid on downgrade.

I cant understand why the account couldn't be closed, if the switch is no longer required unless there was an overdraft present, you can cancel/close accounts in branch but not over the phone.

The only fees paid on a downgrade would be a pro-rata fee for the Ultimate Reward for the current month's usage as the account is still opened. If it was closed the consumer would pay any outstanding fees owed. Bank may have declined it due to being overdrawn or outstanding overdraft fees due at the following month. As I stated the OP needed to contact Barclays first to find out why it was rejected and then if it was Halifax who rejected it to then speak to them.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pinkdalek wrote: »
    The only fees paid on a downgrade would be a pro-rata fee for the Ultimate Reward for the current month's usage as the account is still opened. If it was closed the consumer would pay any outstanding fees owed. Bank may have declined it due to being overdrawn or outstanding overdraft fees due at the following month. As I stated the OP needed to contact Barclays first to find out why it was rejected and then if it was Halifax who rejected it to then speak to them.

The URCA wasn't closed it was downgraded to the reward account.
    You are repeating what I have already posted earlier about the overdraft or fees being outstanding.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing