share sale

Options
Good Afternoon

I have been awarded approx 10K in shares for the company i work for as a bonus payment
I want to sell them before April can someone give me the cheapest way to sell and the likely costs involved.
Any recommendations would be welcome because i do not normally trade in shares.

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    Have you already paid income tax on receipt of the shares?

Or would selling them create an income tax liability that could be avoided by holding them for 3-5 years?

Halifax share dealing might be one option to sell them through.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no Tax liability
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    redmalc wrote: »
    Good Afternoon

I have been awarded approx 10K in shares for the company i work for as a bonus payment
    I want to sell them before April can someone give me the cheapest way to sell and the likely costs involved.

Phew that's quite some request because there are loads of them mostly with very similar charges. For example Barclays and hargreaves Lansdown standard dealing charges when I last looked were just 55p cheaper than the standard dealing charges of Halifax.

According to MSE a cheap starting point is online share dealing platforms and I link to MSE's article:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cheap-online-sharedealing
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Afternoon

In what form are you getting the shares, eg are they in a share certificate? If so, and you are not likely to be dealing in shares in the foreseeable future, I can't see much point in opening a dealing account. For a one-off share certificate sale, a local High Street bank might well prove the most convenient way of selling.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is no Tax liability

X-o.com are part of the Jarvis group and often quoted as teh cheapest fro share sales. Account opening is free and I think they charge around £6 per trade.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's DeGiro which is even cheaper at £1.75 + 0.004% according to the blurb on their home page. Pretty much the darling of the financial press back in 2015 when it opened in the U.K.
    https://www.degiro.co.uk/?utm_source=adwordUKbrand&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-73GBRCC7KODl9zToJMBEiQAj1Jgf9BShXglufgOO0jWNacPTd7Br5fziX0nX58e3JS0TVoaAnAd8P8HAQ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure