Renewing Insurance after Losing Licence

Options
LadyDee
LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Last June I had to relinquish my driving licence for medical reasons following a collapse whilst pulling into my driveway. Luckily nobody was hurt, the only damage was to my car and my fence. However, every man & his dog got involved - paramedics, ambulance, and for some unknown reason, police and crash investigators! The Police apparently were obliged to inform DVLA of the situation. Why they and the investigation lot were there on what is a private estate I don't know.

Anyway, after countless investigations, with no diagnosed cause for the collapse and no further episodes, I am confident that I will shortly be told by the consultant that I can apply for reinstatement of my licence in a few weeks time.

My insurers did not rescind my policy but have continued fire and theft cover whilst the car has been tucked away in the garage, but my policy is due for renewal in 4 weeks time which will more or less coincide with the renewal date.

I had Protected No Claims, and thought this would mean that I wouldn't face an increase in my premium but from what I read here I'm beginning to think that there could be quite a hefty increase.

Anybody have any idea of what sort of difference it's going to make to my premium?

TIA

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Your NCD protection only applies to your NCD.

ie. not connected to any other material changes.

See if you can do dummy quotes online now to see what renewal premiums are likely to be.

(Your medical condition shouldn't affect your laid up cover premiums, but get quotes for a normal policy)
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,232 Forumite
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    Last June I had to relinquish my driving licence for medical reasons following a collapse whilst pulling into my driveway. Luckily nobody was hurt, the only damage was to my car and my fence. However, every man & his dog got involved - paramedics, ambulance, and for some unknown reason, police and crash investigators! The Police apparently were obliged to inform DVLA of the situation. Why they and the investigation lot were there on what is a private estate I don't know.

You don't think the police should investigate potential criminal offences on a private estate. Will you call them when your house is burgled?
  • LadyDee
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    You don't think the police should investigate potential criminal offences on a private estate. Will you call them when your house is burgled?

This was me, in my car, in my driveway, my fence, no-one else involved. No, I don't think it was necessary for the police to investigate.
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This was me, in my car, in my driveway, my fence, WITH MY BOTTLE OF SCOTCH, no-one else involved. No, I don't think it was necessary for the police to investigate.

There you go, I've added a reason why police would investigate. Appreciate that wasn't what you were doing but how were they to know that?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • Freefall
    Freefall Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »
    There you go, I've added a reason why police would investigate. Appreciate that wasn't what you were doing but how were they to know that?

Hrm. Unless his driveway was a public place in terms of the RTA it is quite irrelevant
  • bigjl
    bigjl Posts: 6,457 Forumite
    Options
    How exactly would the Police know it was the drivers House until they turned up and done some investigating?

QED
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    Freefall wrote: »
    Hrm. Unless his driveway was a public place in terms of the RTA it is quite irrelevant
    The roadway he was turning from onto his drive certainly would have been.
  • LadyDee
    Options
    Just to put everybody's mind at rest, my private driveway is off a private road on a private estate, I'm a 'her' and I don't drink alcohol.

Thank you Quentin for your useful response.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,356 Forumite
    Options
    This was me, in my car, in my driveway, my fence, no-one else involved. No, I don't think it was necessary for the police to investigate.

If the police think you have been driving on a public highway, and have reason to believe that you may be drunk, then they will treat it as suspected drunk driving.

Crashing into anything is generally taken as sufficient reason to suspect drunk driving. That's why they often breathalyse everyone involved in an accident.

The fact that you finally stopped on private land won't stop the police taking an interest.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    If the police think you have been driving on a public highway, and have reason to believe that you may be drunk, then they will treat it as suspected drunk driving.

Crashing into anything is generally taken as sufficient reason to suspect drunk driving. That's why they often breathalyse everyone involved in an accident.

The fact that you finally stopped on private land won't stop the police taking an interest.

If only Police took an interest in other cases we would not have so much crime :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure