PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chutney help - which vinegar?

Options
I have just made my first ever chutney - BBC Good Food Spiced Apple Chutney. Only did half the recipe in case I messed up, so I have one jar ready for Christmas!

I now have caught the bug and want to make some more, but cant be bothered to go to the shop for more vinegar. I have about 50ml of brown malt vinegar, 100ml of clear distilled malt vinegar, and a jar of balsamic. I dont norrmally use malt vinegar (soggy chips - yuk) so could do with using these up.

I have lots of large white onions, a couple of red onions, some cherry tomatoes with inedible skins and lots of spices.

Can anyone help me with a recipe please? I have tried Googling but all I can find are recipes with red wine vinegar. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2594653/caramelised-red-onion-chutney
    I'd do this and just substitute the vinegars you have for the red wine vinegar that you don't. It will still taste good
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sunshine_and_Roses
    Options
    Thanks MallyGirl. I have just picked the last of my tomatoes, half of them green, so I am going to do a mix of the recipe you kindly suggested and Nigel Slaters green tomato chutney. I have put the tomatoes in boiling water to hopefully get the skins off first!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I make the chutney and then pick the skins out at that point - especially if they are green. Some will slip though the net but people cope.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    I made a couple of jars of Green Tomato Chutney last week and the tomatoes were just sliced finely, not peeled. It smelled divine!
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • pws52
    pws52 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chutney making can become addictive!

I chop green tomatoes as some are too piddling to peal and I cannot bear waste!
    My 'go to' recipe is Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's Glutney Chutney.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,263 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I love HM chutney, made loads when I had apple & runner bean glut. Still eating it now, made in 2011, so it does keep for anyone wondering, all the vinegar / sugar & boiling I guess
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cor - I'm not sure that I ever knew there was such a thing as a chutney recipe. I just chuck in everything that I've got plenty of, add a few tired bits and pieces from the veg drawer in the fridge and cook till thick enough to put in the jar!

Recipes? Hmmm, this might open up a whole new world. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure