Can I get a NYE refund due to illness?

Options
Advice please....We booked a UK holiday for a week to include New Year's weekend. I booked a New Year's Eve meal/party for my family of 6 in the hotel. It was expensive, about £100 each, but we thought we'd splurge this year. When I booked it was stated the tickets were non refundable, which was OK as we had every intention of going. However my husband, daughter and I have all been suffering with very heavy flu like coughs and colds. We are recovering but really cannot sit in a restaurant and enjoy a fancy meal feeling the way we do. Not really fair to other diners either. The hotel have agreed to serve us dinner in our room, but not the same NYE menu, and it's certainly not the same cost as what we paid. Can I legitimately ask for a refund...or at least refund half of what I paid? Does the fact they stated the tickets were non refundable have any relevance?

Comments

• ericsson68
    Options
    You can ask, nobody can stop you doing that. But you're not entitled to any refund so I would go at it politely whatever the response.
  • DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Josmorgun wrote: »
    Advice please....We booked a UK holiday for a week to include New Year's weekend. I booked a New Year's Eve meal/party for my family of 6 in the hotel. It was expensive, about £100 each, but we thought we'd splurge this year. When I booked it was stated the tickets were non refundable, which was OK as we had every intention of going. However my husband, daughter and I have all been suffering with very heavy flu like coughs and colds. We are recovering but really cannot sit in a restaurant and enjoy a fancy meal feeling the way we do. Not really fair to other diners either. The hotel have agreed to serve us dinner in our room, but not the same NYE menu, and it's certainly not the same cost as what we paid. Can I legitimately ask for a refund...or at least refund half of what I paid? Does the fact they stated the tickets were non refundable have any relevance?

Yes, the fact they stated the tickets were non refundable is both relevant and your answer.

If they offer you anything that is goodwill, you should take it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure