PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Add to tenancy

Options
Hi,
My wife and i live in a housing association property, which was previously council.
my wife has been a tenant for 18 years and i am not a tenant, i just live there and pay the rent.
Any way my question is that when we went to the housing association to get me added to the tenancy (because we are looking at Right To Buy), they said it would be a new tenancy and my wife would lose all the discount from previous years.....
Does this seem correct?

thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why bother?

Your wife buys the property under RTB. Then either gifts you 50% or does not bother. If you get divorced, the family home will be dealt with in the same way during the divorce setlement, so the act you ae not named on the Title won't make much difference.
  • Skids10
    Options
    Thanks for reply,
    Its more the fact that she has really bad credit and i have good credit for the mortgage or loan to purchase it.
  • Skids10
    Options
    Also does anyone know where i can get help filling the rtb1 its just a few questions i want to query (well more to the point filling it out correctly) we get the go ahead to purchase the property.
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Skids10 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply,
    Its more the fact that she has really bad credit and i have good credit for the mortgage or loan to purchase it.

What's the different in rent if/when she loses her previous discounts? If it's purely a means of facilitating a right to buy, presumably it would only be a short term thing? Might be better to accept that it just means paying that extra bit of rent in the short term?
  • Skids10
    Options
    She would get the full 70% discount now as been a tenant for 18 years
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A quick bit of googling (well, duckduckgoing) on RTB eleigiblity shows:
    You don’t have to do it alone – you may be able to make a joint application for Right to Buy. If you’re eligible, you might be able to buy your home with:
    • Someone who shares your tenancy
    • Your spouse or civil partner
    • Up to 3 family members who’ve lived with you for the past 12 months. They don’t have to be on your tenancy agreement but it must be their main home
    There is nothing in law that specifies how a Right to Buy purchase should be financed. A family member (or someone else) could provide the funding for the purchase. However legal ownership of the property can only be in the names of the eligible tenant/s and other eligible applicants. We recommend that you get financial and legal advice on mortgages or contact one of our Right to Buy advisers who will be able to point you in the right direction.
    https://righttobuy.gov.uk/am-i-eligible/
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    from this article it seems that only those tenants that were council tenants before the property transferred to HA have the right to buy under "preserved right to buy' Tenants who were not registered as council tenants prior to the change do not have the right to buy
    https://righttobuy.gov.uk/am-i-eligible/housing-association-tenants/

what is the value of the property? you know the discount is 70% or a set amount whichever is lower - unless the property is in London...a value over around £110k would mean discount less than 70%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure