Kitchen Fitter has left me feeling angry and stupid

Options

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikee31 wrote: »
    But how long do I wait to see if things resolve themselves and further it feels like any trust has been broken so do I really want the PM involved anymore?

You could write and say that if he does not complete the kitchen within the next [14 or 21?] days then you will arrange to have the work completed and pursue him for all additional costs you incur. And ask him to contact you if he has any objection or alternative proposals.

(This should strengthen your hand if you do take legal action later as it shows you only incurred additional costs as a last resort. But it won't necessarily help if he is broke.)
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    How did you pay the PM?
  • mikee31
    mikee31 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bank transfer.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    If the PM is a sole trader and their residential address is also their registered place of business, doesn't this mean that any assets (whether personal or business owned) can be seized if a court order for payment hasn't been satisfied?
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    you could also park down the street from the pm's marital house and keep watch just to make sure he is not living there, this could be a ruse. I would want to know where he is trading from if he is still trading at all, your probably not the only one who is left with a semi started kitchen by him.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    you could also park down the street from the pm's marital house and keep watch
    Is that a serious suggestion? :eek:
  • NotRichAtAll
    NotRichAtAll Posts: 888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 March 2017 at 7:28PM
    Options
    Is that a serious suggestion? :eek:

And why not? this below that the op posted would make me want to see if the PM was at his home or not.
    Speaking with his wife did however prompt the PM to email me when he hadn't responded to my calls/text/emails previously
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    mikee31 wrote: »
    Bank transfer.

Hmm, no chance of going through the bank then.

If the guy has no money I'm not sure what can be done that would actually be worth doing.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And why not? this below that the op posted would make me want to see if the PM was at his home or not.

Why not? Perhaps because the answer won't affect the situation one bit. It may seek to satisfy some personal poirot need but other than that, its pointless. Personally I'd say the more relevant address would be where he's living now - and does it look like the kind of place someone claiming to have no money can afford. Although I still would advise against the PI tactics for that too.

Theres also the risk that the trader (or his wife) takes pics of the OP sitting down the street watching his family home and accuses the OP of threatening to physically harm them.

As for what OP posted - I've never yet known a couple who decided to split and never once spoke to each other about anything ever again. Sometimes it can be amicable, best of friends even though it never worked out romantically. But even if it wasn't on good terms, I imagine she'd be annoyed (to say the least) if she's being contacted about his problems. If they have kids together then imo its to be expected that they'd be in regular contact. But either way, their relationship is really none of OP's business.
    If the PM is a sole trader and their residential address is also their registered place of business, doesn't this mean that any assets (whether personal or business owned) can be seized if a court order for payment hasn't been satisfied?

The registered place of business being his residential address doesn't really matter (sole traders technically don't have "registered" addresses - just contact addresses). If he doesn't have limited liability (by way of LLP, Ltd company etc) then its not limited to business assets, his personal assets are at stake also.

If its not the only person he's done it to though, theres a real chance the guy won't have the assets required to settle them all unless he has a really nice mortgage free house and/or car with no HP/finance involved.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • mikee31
    mikee31 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, as an update I received the following in an email on Wednesday evening (excuse the fitters spelling/grammar mistakes);

"i am trying to sort things out i did not manage to get up to my children weekend il be visiting them tomorrow as for your wordings im in a very bad place at the moment believe you me i am.not enjoying it at all. I will sort everything out. i know your p!ssed off but i will sort it i will not rip you off im sorting it asap i have no intention of ripping anyone off i could f@ck off disappear but. No i will be back. If you do take legal action i will respond in the appropiate manner. Please send correspendance to her for now i will pick it up"

I'm at the end of my tether with it all as I just want the kitchen I've paid for and am fed up of waiting whilst the house is in a mess. I don't know if he's intending on sorting things, or if he is even capable of it as I suspect the money has been spent, or if he just wants me to go legal. I haven't got the money together right now to pay someone else so am in total limbo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure