Expat Investments

Options
13»

Comments

• chiang_mai
    Options
    I have not been UK resident (nor domiciled) for the past 15 years and am unlikely to be so ever again. What I wrote about ACC units was one way to avoid the potential for any taxable income being remitted to Thailand, sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 September 2017 at 12:04PM
    Options
    chiang_mai wrote: »
    A second concern is finding funds that hold a good percentage of investments in China but also have decent alternate country holdings, it seems it's all or very little with the China related funds.

Are you committed to funds only or are investment trusts an option?

You could consider Henderson Far East Income, which is 27% China and the remainder from the Asia Pacific ex Japan sector:

http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/uk/cefreport/default.aspx?SecurityToken=E0GBR00QXD]2]0]FCGBR$$ALL

JP Morgan Asian Investment Trust has 35% China:

http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/uk/cefreport/default.aspx?SecurityToken=E0GBR00Y7H]2]0]FCGBR$$ALL

Pacific Horizon Investment Trust has 39% China:

http://tools.morningstar.co.uk/uk/cefreport/default.aspx?SecurityToken=E0GBR00QB2]2]0]FCGBR$$ALL

Just ideas, not recommendations. Several more of a similar ilk on http://www.theaic.co.uk/
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm guessing that as you are non resident in UK for tax purposes you can't buy ISAs????

If you held ISAs before becoming non res would you have to sell them???

I hold 6 ISA funds.
    My favourite is Old Mutual UK Mid Cap

Schroder UK Dynamic Smaller cos would give you a better return the Schroder Smaller cos you hold.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    If your 22% UK is FTSE100 for example Iwouldn't consider that to be 22% UK because over 70% of its income is earned outside the UK.
    (FTSE100 is not very well diversified but thats another matter)
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • chiang_mai
    Options
    "Are you committed to funds only or are investment trusts an option?"

IT's are not my first choice for a number of reasons, liquidity can be an issue as can the unpredictability of discounts to NAV. I currently hold WITAN and Henderson Diversified Income in my pension and their performance is not as robust and flexible as say other UT's/OIEC's I hold. Having said that, I have friends who are almost exclusively invested in IT's and who swear by them.

Thanks for taking the time to list a couple of China options, I may need to revisit that search and look more closely. One of the problems I have currently is retro fitting the portfolio with a China allocation that takes into account the other regiional holdings I've already decided on, it's like looking for a perfectly shaped wedge to fit a specific size hole! I'm probably also suffering somewhat from fund search overload so taking a few ays away from it might be helpful.
  • chiang_mai
    Options
    "If your 22% UK is FTSE100 for example Iwouldn't consider that to be 22% UK because over 70% of its income is earned outside the UK".

Yes I agree, which is why I'm not concerned at my ratio of UK vs US holdings for that very reason, many UK stocks are based on US earnings.
  • chiang_mai
    Options
    That's correct, I can't buy and hold ISA's, sadly, they are a great opportunity that I think everyone who can do so ought to try and uutilise. And yes, I believe I would have had to sell any ISA's before becomming non-res. although I suspect most people don't andm any still use an accomodation address in the UK for this purpose.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chiang_mai wrote: »
    And yes, I believe I would have had to sell any ISA's before becoming non-res.

The rules allow you to keep any ISAs you have at the time of departure from the UK. You just can't contribute any more to them or open new ones. You would however be subject to the tax rules of your new country of residence as ISAs would have no tax-free status outside the UK. As far as I'm aware.

Regarding liquidity of investment trusts, I don't see any issues. They are shares and readily tradable on the LSE. Unless you're referring to what they hold and are talking about those invested in private equity and property.
  • chiang_mai
    Options
    Thanks for the correction regarding ISA's, I never did get involved with them hence I have no first hand experience.

As said a lot of people are attracted to IT's, I read that statistically, they have the edge over the alternatives. My concern (and it's not a huge one) is the discount/premium to NAV aspect in different market conditions, UT's and OEIC's are far simpler for me since there's only one pricing aspect to consider rather than price, discount/premium and volume. When you're trying to sell in a downturn and the volume is high because everyone else is selling also, the discount to NAV drops which is inconvenient if you bought at a premium hence there's a timing and a potential liquidity issue since fewer peopl want to buy when everyone else is selling..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure